Gone with the wind!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
April 5th 2006
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our camper van extravaganza began in Broome where we quickly picked up the lingo including “throw a few prawns on the barbie”, as well as “streuth” and “bonza”, but the winning line was “flaming galaa”. We were greeted with extra humid weather with blue skies, which cunningly disguised what was in store for us….

After a chance listening to the radio we heard a murmur about a cyclone forming off the coast of Broome. After a suitable R&R, we decided to escape and head west from the oncoming CYCLONE GLENDA. We were soon laughing at our agility….but this was short lived as the cyclone followed us down the coast! Our escape options were severely restricted and with no path east or west we headed south into the Outback…to arrive at TOM PRICE the highest town in Western Australia at 600m! A small and inconsequential town with a pub and that’s about it. As the cyclone hit, a mere 200km away we were battered with 2 days of rain and wind. Still, John and I consoled ourselves with cheese and pickle sandwiches and a crate of beer!!

After spotting some great wildlife including kangaroos (woke one up whilst walking along a path), a python snake (nearly drove over it) and some ostriches, we were on our way again. What else could possible go wrong in this unforgiving land? As we wondered the scenarios we promptly blew a tyre in the middle of nowhere!! Then there was the incident of John crashing the roof of the van in the tyre repair shop, but let’s not talk about that hey? .

The long drives were always rewarded with some great adventures; snorkeling in Coral Bay we bumped into a lovely aussie couple Jason and Renee who we promptly befriended after they offered us a months supply of fish they had caught!! Next it was our turn to do the feeding, this time dolphins at Monkey Mia with a trip on a yacht thrown in. The 3000km road trip extreme adventure was drawing to a close but not before we visited strange rock formations at the Pinnacles.

On arrival in Perth we popped in to visit Rob & Emma and 4 week old Summer. Ended up staying for a week but with their hospitality who could blame us? Great to see familiar faces again, but we soon had to say farewell to head to the mystical land of Africa….




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



2nd May 2006

Hi guys
Great to get the blow by blow account-literally! Its good to keep in touch. All iswell here, saw Maz, Michaela and Lucy- that was fun! Hope you have a wonderful time in Africa- we are very jealous! See you soon love Mags and Dave otherwise known as mum and dadX

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb