Western Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
October 5th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Firstly I would like to apologise for not writing anything in such a long time. It was really expensive in Perth and Ayers Rock for the internet so I held off. Consequently, this means that I have lots to talk about so I'll try my best not to leave anything out but also bore you in the process!!!

So I left you all as we arrived in Perth blurry eyed with instructions in hand we headed off to find the bus stop only to be told that it was at least a 40min walk away. Quickly re-thought plan and went for the one and only option available (after a taxi) and jumped on the shuttle bus for $30 (one pound=$1.61 Oz dollars) each for a return journey to and from our hostel. Not great but no way could we walk that distance in the heat. Anyway, arrived at the hostel and checked into our dorm for 8 girls, of which only 3 of the other beds were occupied. 1 by an American girl called Kim who had actually been kicked out of the hostel for drunken behaviour and was moving out the next day and the other 2 by two very Northern Irish twins. All were very nice girls and I pumped them for lots of info including what to wear to the local backpackers’ night at Mustangs which was happening that very evening. So after unpacking and learning that the moment anyone has a shower the floor is flooded we went down to start socialising with others in the hostel. The hostel by the way was called 12:01 Eastpackers Hostel and was on Hay Street in East Perth.

We all headed out in numerous taxis to Mustangs, a bar which puts on live bands and BBQ food for $5 per person. This was very welcomed by me and Sarah was in her element as she is a complete meat head. It was a funny atmosphere in there to begin, full of groups of backpackers from different hostels around Perth, didn't really feel like a bar more like a school dance! But of course, with the $10 jugs of beer flowing and the fantastic band playing the atmosphere soon changed to your typical local bar/club on a Friday/Saturday night. By about 1am Sarah and I were done, having been up since 5am. So we headed into the cold night of Perth (ok about 19degrees but cold compare to Asia) to sleep right through until midday the next day.

The good thing about Oz is that the majority of the major cities have free bus routes within the city boundaries and luckily for us there was a stop just a few paces away from the hostel. We jumped on the 'red Cat' bus and headed in to town to get some all important food supplies. The Asda equivalent out here is called Woolworths but I can hand on heart say you are paying more like Waitrose prices. Needless to stay spag bol, noddles and sandwiches have been our diet ever since getting here. That night we chilled out (yes ok we were slightly hangover, we were still getting used to Ozzie beer) in what was affectionately known as 'The Cave'. this was a room in the hostel that had a pool table and also a area which constantly had the lights switched off so peeps could sit on the very warn out sofas and watch videos. Which is exactly what we did, American Dad to be exact.

So Friday up to go on a free walking tour around Perth, provided by a friendly volunteer for the City of Perth. We've found free walking tours a great way to get our bearings and see if there's anything we want to do in the future. Also it's a fab way to get some free history and grill the guide for info about the ways things work in the city. What we both noticed was how wide everything was bet I guess they have the space to go wide rather than up, which was very refreshing. There is also so much public space and it was very clean-top marks all round.

Once we'd completed our walking tour we had a coffee at the waterfront before deciding that we both needed to get a hoodie and a pair of bed socks as we were finding it too cold in the evening. Now you would think this would be an easy thing to find you would be wrong, unless you were prepared to pay $60 which I certainly was not. So you've guessed it we went into every single shop in Perth and just before we were about to give up we went into one final shop and got everything that we needed. I got a XL lumber jack zip up hoodie for $5-granted it does nothing for my street cred (if I even have any) but I've become very attached to it. So Friday evening was upon us, which meant burrito night at the hostel. Basically everyone pays $5 and gets burritos, sit outside in the court yard and play drinking games. It was a great way to get to know everyone and we both had a really good time. Although, the only problem with all of this was that we had brought what's called 'Goon'-a box of white wine as this was only $15 rather than $34 for beer. Drinking games with wine are not a good idea and I can safely say that I was very drunk but as everyone else was I was saved any embrassement-lol.

I was up showered and dressed by 1030 on Saturday morning, however Sarah continued to sleep so I finished my 3rd book (thanks for that one Sophie it was really good and a easy read when you have a hangover) and had another little nap. This backpacking is hard work-hee hee. By 2pm Sarah still wasn't awake but my belly was in need of food, so she got woken up with promise of a Subway-her fav food. We then headed to Perth public library that has free computers and so is full of backpackers taking full advantage rather than looking at the books. Spent our time researching into our trip for Fremantle and Rottnest Island.

That night we all ended up going to the local gay club, much to Sarah's delight. It was a great club and a really good mix of straight, gay and lesbian. It also had an inside and outside area, although I found it too cold outside-pathetic I know. Still feeling slightly jaded from the night before I took it easy and at closing headed back with everyone to bed, where as Sarah kept going in the Cave with the others to manage a mammoth 630 finish.

Sunday was a lovely day so we went for a walk through the local parks, which all seem to be the size of Hyde Park but with full on lakes and cannoning-Boris Johnson take note! After our Sunday morning walk we meet everyone in yet another local park for a chill out in the sun. All in all a good Sunday.

Monday morning we packed up and headed down to a place called Fremantle, which is only 20mins away on the train from Perth. It has basically made its name by refurbing its buildings to their traditional state from the 1800s. This said, it was a working port and for the first time we saw graffiti, industrial buildings and drunks (ourselves not included in that last one). Up until Freo (as it's known locally) we had stayed in hostels with under 50 people, which we both really liked as you get to know people really quickly. However, the one we were staying in Freo (Fremantle Backpackers Hostel) was plus 100 and huge. As we walked through the many turnings smiling at people, they stared at us with dagger eyes and then there were the children and the babies. By the time we got to our room we were both rather afraid. Things didn't get any better, the hostel was more like a half way house, with some people being there for over a year or being there as they were nearly homeless. Also no one seemed to smile or allow you to make conversation if you weren't in their little click and we are talking about people who were clearly in the their 40s as well. So we sucked it up and got on with our sightseeing tour and headed to the beach.

Sods law, as soon as we got to the beach got settled a cloud suddenly appeared in the sky and didn't budge. After an hour we gave up and headed for the bus stop. Of course as soon as we were at the bus stop it cleared up. We took this as a sign of things to come in Freo. That night we watched a movie which is put on every evening in the hostel but the problem was they put it on in the middle of the communal area so people are talking all around you, not the best way to watch a movie.

On Tuesday we headed up to Fremantle prison which we decided we couldn't afford to pay to get go round as it was over $30 but we would at least enjoy the free exhibition and tiny part of the prison that you didn't have to pay for. The exhibition was great, nothing to do with the prison but rather a travelling exhibition from America on the problem of what to do with aging prisoners. It was called Prisoners of age if anyone wants to research-well worth it very thought provoking. We then headed to the Martine museum were we learnt lots about when the Danish first discovered western Australia and all the boat crashes that have happened along the western coast. For a freebie it defo got the thumbs up. That night did movie night (again) as didn't have money to go out and didn't really want to spend time with the drunken half-way hostel peeps.

The next day we went to Rottnest Island. It's a 30min journey on a ferry to the island at the over inflated cost of $60 but hey you ain't getting there any other way. So what is Rottnest Island I hear you say, not a lot. It's literally an island which has been used for its salt lakes and the accommodation etc was built by aboriginal prisoners (they couldn't be in the Freo prison with the white people for whatever reason). So now the island has a hotel, shallots (previously worker homes), a tiny school and a couple of people who live there permently. You are not allowed to drive on the island unless you live there to so only way to get around is by push bike or the bus they provide. As it was $30 each for a hire bike we decided to do the free walking tour which covered a mere inch of the island and then jump on the hop on hop off bus. The reason people go to the island is for the beaches. It has loads the whole way around but to be completely honest with you, yes they were nice but I've seen nicer and have been lucky enough to be on beaches where you are the only people-as has Sarah. It's a very popular destination especially for families which I completely understand; I guess I was just expecting more considering what they charge you. That night, you've guessed it movie night.

Then came our final day Thursday (I’d like to add that we were originally going to stay in Freo till Friday but on are first day decided it wasn't really for us and found out the earliest we could get out without incurring a charge). We had booked onto the Whale watching boat trip. This was absolutely amazing and I would like to thank Nanny Doris and Aunty Margret again for my birthday money as this paid for this fab experience. So you go out on this boat with whale researchers who give you lots of info about the whales. We were going out to look at the humpbacks that were on the migration back down south after going to the North of Oz to breed. So out we go and then bam there they were a whole pod of humpbacks. How amazing and the law is that if a whale is within a 100ft of the boat you cannot move. Luckily for us, this pod wanted to show off and for over the next hour we watched them perform for us teaching their young how to do air bubbles, tail smashing, jumping. It was truly magical (apart from the bits I felt sea sick). We were over an hour later coming back into harbour because the whales stayed with us for so long. I'm so lucky to have had the opportunity to have had the experience, so thanks again Nanny and Aunty M.

Right, then back up to Perth for another couple of nights out and a trip to the lovely Kings Park and the botanical gardens. The park is up on the hill and has amazing views over the city. A lovely place to just stroll through and relax in.

Up at 6am on Saturday morning ready for our flight to Ayers Rock. So bye bye Western Oz, had a great time and met some really lovely people. Also learnt what type of hostel to stay clear from and had some magical experiences. I would gladly go back again and do the whole of the West coast.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb