WA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
November 12th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Race 19 secs
After finally acclimatizing to the heat of summer (which we are following around the world) we arrived to Perth and it's freezing! Coming from the heat of SE Asia it is a welcome relief to have some cool weather however it has also forced us to break out our warm weather gear which we haven't done since Africa. We arrived in Perth where Tom, an old mate of Ev's, met us at the airport.

The poor guy said he would put us up for the time we were in Perth. Little did he know we planned to stay 3 weeks! We made our way back to his house (our first proper house in half a year!!- joy!). He set about putting us right to work (as he should) and hopped on his dingo to dig up his front yard. We were about 2 months early for the pool he plans to install but managed to muck in with the occasion pipe lifting, tool passing and dinner making.

With our loaned car (thanks Tom!) we explored Freemantle on our first day out. The main attraction in Freo is the prison. An up and coming world heritage sight the prison was open until 1992 (when prisoners were still using buckets as toliets). We headed on the tour to learn how the prison was used to house orphan children until the 1970s (harsh!) and about the riot in the late 1980s that saw half of the prison roof burn away. We followed up the general tour with a look into the escapes from the prison, some which were extremely successful including one that included a whaling vessel from America.

Over our first weekend we took in the Red Bull Air Race from Kings Park. Although we are not aircraft enthusiasts the race held just metres above the river waters was enough to impress anybody. To top it all off a fighter jet swept over the city in a number of thrilling manuvers before soaring straight up into the air where it disappeared from sight.

Our first week in Perth saw us exploring the city centre, Swanbourne Beach, Cottesloe Beach, taking a trip up the coast tourist route, having walks along the Swan River and enduring a fair bit of rain. Heading for Margaret River on the weekend for some wine tasting and beautiful scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Election Fever was everywhereElection Fever was everywhere
Election Fever was everywhere

even in the basement of this Singapore shopping mall
Enjoying the loungersEnjoying the loungers
Enjoying the loungers

at Singapore Airport- best airport in the world!
Freo PrisonFreo Prison
Freo Prison

from behind


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb