Living in a Land Down Under


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Home to Perth!



Home to Perth!We've made it to Perth! It kind of feels like part of our adventure is over but I'm sure a new one is just beginning. Instead of travelling around enjoying ourselves on holiday for several months, it's now time to settle a bit and find jobs to pay for the next leg of our trip and our journey home. Not quite as appealing but a whole different kind of fun.

After clearing customs (no mean feat, they go through everything, no wood, certain types of paper, food, animal products etc etc), we were met at the airport by Mark's cousin Allan and his daughter India who decided she'd be shy (hasn't lasted!). After a quick shower (a power shower no less, it's been a while!) and change we headed off to a party on the roof of Allan's wife's (Wendy) radio station who were hosting a Pink party (not just for me, Pink is in town while on tour of Oz). A bit of glam after lugging a back pack round for months! There were a few local celebrities there and a mohican sporting punk bag-piper! A wee taste of home!

We spent the rest of the weekend soaking up other Ozzie traditions, a visit to the beach (huge waves, freezing water!), a barbie, visiting family and friends and then we got the made to measure suits from Vietnam out and tramped round town looking for work when the week started. This wasn't immediately successful! We thought they'd be fighting over us. However, we both started working behind a bar on friday night at the Subiaco Oval at the rugby. It's just casual work from an agency but it's a start.

Wednesday was Anzac day. This is the Australian and New Zealand rememberance day and it is a huge deal. It's a public holiday and most places close. There was a huge dawn service in each of the big parks with readings, fly-pasts, parades and video footage from the wars. Everybody gets involved with the day and it is a great tribute. More should be done like this at home.

This weekend just past, we went to Fremantle for the evening to a 'pi$$-up in a brewery' and then on Sunday, back to the Subiaco Oval as punters this time for our first live Australian rules football match. It's so rough! It (to me) is a bit like rugby as it's an oval ball and they are allowed to hit each other, but the pitch is huge and it's very fast. I was supporting the team whose colours I liked best ( I didn't have a lot else to go on) but they, despite leading most of the way, lost by 1 point in the final seconds.

As it's autumn out here the weather hasn't been as good as I'd imagined. It now rains most days and it's pretty cold at night, just as the sun comes out at home! The tables have turned and our hard earned tans are fading fast. However, Perth is a nice city. It's well planned and easy to get around on public transport. The beach is clean, sandy and stretches for miles, though I don't think we'll be spending much time on it apart from to walk the dog. Certain streches are dog and horse beaches where you can exercise animals but they are forbidden elsewhere - what a good idea! It gets quite windy in the afternoon when the 'Fremantle Doctor' (wind) comes in. So far so good, think we'll be ok here for 3 months!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

By the beachBy the beach
By the beach

Decided we should walk to Freo one sunny sat afternoon. Turned out to be a lovely day but as we accidently ended up at the wrong side of the harbour, it ended up being quite a long walk!


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb