Hillary's Boat Yard and Mindarie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
January 22nd 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday 22/1

Everyone was tired or a little delicate from the previous night. We went back to Hillary’s Boat Yard and visited the Aquarium of Western Australia (Australia’s largest aquarium and underwater tunnel). I wasn’t looking forward to this as I am not keen on fish in tanks. The giant sharks, rays and turtles were amazing.

I loved the seals the best, one especially was mesmerised by this little boy’s hat and whichever window the boy moved too, waving his hat around, the seal followed. Anyway they proved me wrong and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We rushed back to Dennis and Georgia’s for another Barbie. The food and hospitality was glorious and we all kept laughing about the antics of the previous night - but everyone was shattered and went home early.

Tuesday 23/1

It was a hard life; we had to be up early to catch the ferry to Rottnest. Heard John and Nikki coming up stairs; they knocked on the door, John walked in wearing his uniform, Chinese skull cap, complete with long plait, tea towel, draped over his arm, with our cup of teas and a few biscuits. These two looked after us all so well, we were spoilt rotten.

Nikki was more concerned with Bob giving her a ‘flash ‘as his legs were exposed out of the sheets and as he sat up the sheets fell away even more.

Rottnest Island is directly off the Perth coast. The small marsupial quokka - a bit like a small Kangaroo - only exists on this island, and in some parts they have become very tame (I never saw one).
.
A little bit of history “Willem de Vlamingh, a Dutch mariner that thought Rottnest’s quokkas looked like giant rats. When he landed in 1696, he named the island 'Rat's Nest Island, or in Dutch, Rottenest Island. The 'e' was eventually dropped and today it is also affectionately called ‘Rotto’ by local West Australians”.

We had breakfast overlooking the harbour and beaches, then caught the tour bus that goes all around the island, stopping off at many beaches. The only other form of transport was bikes and the temperatures where much too hot for any extra exercise that day. We lingered at a few beaches for a swim and sunbathe and then visited the Quokka Arms pub for a late lunch. Whilst we were swimming on the beach near the Quokka Arms, Nikki saw the water going dark beside her and it was an enormous Ray, it came right by the side of her and we all were glad it liked her best. Then about an hour later another one came by, or it could have been the same one.

The ferry ride back was comical, at different times we all kept having a quick snooze and the ones who stayed awake took pictures of the snoozers, for a laugh later on. It turned out; everyone snoozing was on film at one time or another.

We rushed back to Mindarie to get washed and changed for the Pub Quiz and just about did it.

Wednesday 24

We drove down the coastal road to Perth city via Scarborough, (great for surfing) and Cottesloe (with its beachside cafes).

Late afternoon arrived at Kings Park and Botanic Gardens, which occupies approximately 400 hectares of Mount Eliza overlooking the city of Perth and the Swan River. Nearly two thirds of the Park is natural bushland containing many species of native plants and bird species. We stayed to watch the sun go down and understood why the Park is the most popular visitor destination in Western Australia, it was so beautiful.

Stopped by Joondaloop Park at dusk and we went in search of kangaroo’s. Not many people about, but one end of the park had spotlights and there they were munching away, lots of kangaroo’s. We managed to get really close to them and take photos and movies, they didn’t give a dam. They looked a lot smaller than I expected and stayed together in small groups like little families.

Thursday 25

Our last day at Perth. Had a lazy day on Sorrento Beach, it was a scorcher over 40 degrees, the hottest so far. I kept slapping on the sun cream and then had to run into the sea to cool down. Lynne and I had our last look around the shops at Sorrento Quay Boardwalk. By the time we got back to the others on the beach they were packing up ready for home.

Had a lovely meal at the Hogs Breath Café, with lots of cocktails. We were so stuffed don’t know how I managed to eat it all. A few greedy guts managed puddings too, but now way did I have room.

Went back to finish packing, had to get up early tomorrow morning.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb