1st October 2012 (Kununurra)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
October 1st 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Days on the Road = 93 Days
(13 Weeks 2 Days)


Well today is the last day that we are in Kununurra and Western Australia as tomorrow we will be heading into the Northern Territory which we are really looking forward to.

During the night we had our first rainfull in three months and it was great to hear and certainly cooled the air down. For the whole time we have been in Kununurra the temperature has been a constant 40oC, it hasn't really bothered us as I think we have been acclimatising to the heat as we have headed further up North.

Our last stop for Western Australia is a visit to the 'El Questro' Wilderness Park. We hit the infamous Gibb River Road and head out to this lovely park that covers a million hectares. There is a mass of places to visit in this park and I'm sure you could stay out here for a week and camp at The Station and discover gorges, natural springs, walk trails and 4WD tracks. We only have enough time to discover a couple of these though.

First thing we head out to Zebedee Springs that is only open to the public until 12pm. We trekked our way through lush tropical palms which provided plenty of shade from the leafy canopy above, then emerges these magnificent thermal pools. There are a few different swimming holes that you can dip yourself into without feeling like you are sharing your spot with other tourists. The swimming holes are all linked so you can move from one to the other without any trouble. The water which comes from deep within the earth interior is kept at a constant 32oC and it’s crystal clear. You actually feel like you're at a day spa retreat. Just divine! We spend quite a few hours here just relaxing and soaking up this natural wonder.

We emerge totally chilled and head towards The Station to check it out. We encountered our first river crossing in the car! We actually had to cross two in the end with the later one being the deeper of the two. They weren't actually that deep but for our first crossing in the car it was enough and great fun. We arrive at The Station where you can stay and it is a lovely spot.

Upon enquiry at the counter we find out that due to the end of season our next destination Emma Gorge closed at 12pm, we were too late for that which was a shame. We also learnt that they had to close Chamberlain Gorge due to a saltwater crocodile entering this area, how rude. All of the other gorges and springs required quite abit of walking and the time involved in completing these would mean we wouldn't get back to Kununurra until late and we still had to pack up for our trip to NT the next day, so we decided to call it a day in the park and head back.

We've had a wonderful time in Western Australia along our travels.

Goodbye to our home state and here we come NT!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb