Kununurra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
July 8th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ord River cruise Ord River cruise Ord River cruise

Alex and Kyle
8th July 2012

We left Parry Creek Farm just after 8am and drove the short distance to Kununurra. We went to the Information Centre and booked a river cruise for tomorrow, did some shopping and set up the camper at Ivanhoe Village Caravan Park. We were able to wash the car, which was absolutely coated in red dust. We drove to Kelly's Nob lookout, Ivanhoe Crossing (river crossing) and through some of the agricultural area, which is absolutely lush. We bought a few vegetables but not many as we may not be able to take them to the NT. The weather here is gorgeous, 30ish and sunny (I see it is about 16 in Perth - we are skipping this part of winter :D ). The boys had a swim in the pool and we made burgers for dinner.



9th July 2012

Mike spent the day sorting out the repairs for the car - the sub tank pump and the tyre repair, and Mum and Dad's headlights. He said he is not that into boat cruises.

The rest of us went on a half day tour (Triple J Tours), with a bus trip to Lake Argyle, visit to the old Durack homestead (relocated next to the lake as the original station is under the lake), and a boat trip back along the Ord to Kununurra. Perfect weather for it, warm, blue and sunny. The boat got up speed from time to time, which the boys loved. We saw quite a few freshwater crocs (apparently they get the very occasional saltie in this part of the river, and relocate them). Lots of birds, pandanus, a kurrajong in flower, and lovely orange gorge walls. The statistics on the water volumes and inflows of Lake Argyle are amazing. Apparently Kununurra is receiving $400m under "royalties for regions" and will be doing an expansion of the irrigated agricultural area, which should be great for the regional economy. We had a lovely afternoon tea (Alex and Kyle especially enjoyed it) and got back just after sunset. A gorgeous day.



10th July 2012

We walked into Kununurra and looked at the Artlandish gallery, lots of gorgeous aboriginal artworks there. Also had morning tea and did some shopping. Mike picked up the car, complete with repaired sub-tank. After lunch we went to the Zebra Rock gallery (items made of interesting striped local rock) and fed pieces of bread to some voracious catfish in the river. We also went to an orchard, but couldn't get much as we will be in the NT soon and don't want to lose our produce at quarantine. The boys also had a swim in the caravan park pool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lake Argyle Lake Argyle
Lake Argyle

Alex, me, Pop and Kyle


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb