Just Visited


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karratha
May 31st 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -20.7367, 116.846

On our way to a free camp we called in to see Karratha. My goodness is that place thriving. There is so much building and construction of roads going on. We have noticed all the houses up this way don't have any gutters. Too much water. Karratha is now a stones throw from Dampier as they have built a dual lane freeway to connect the 2 towns.
Karratha has a huge port and a large mining community.

Dampier is such a pretty little town and is the home to the Red Dog statue. It has a huge port and out in the bay is an island which looks like paradise from the distance. Apparently a man built a castle there and lived on the island until he died and is now buried there. You can take a tour but we didn't have time as we still had a way to go to get to our free camp.

If your not at the free camps by 2.30 then you struggle to get any flat ground for your van. It fills up quickly sometimes we have counted 15 vans. Most of the overnight camping stops are large with trees and loos. Sometimes there are those that take advantage of this and camp for a few weeks until they get caught out and told to leave. We had a great sunset at one camp ground. One night we couldn't find anywhere so we decided to stay at Sandfire which is a Roadhouse on the way to Karratha. More like a zoo with a camel, cow, geese, peacocks, a rooster and chooks, fish and heavens only knows what else. Oh and a great pub area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb