A trip to Dampier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karratha
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had a lazy morning at home, I sorted photos on the computer, caught up on emails etc. while Doug did motor home things. Then we decided we’d go and have a look at Dampier, 18 kms away.

It was a bit of a bleak drive at first - bare hills, lots of telegraph lines, signs to mines (Rio Tinto), railway yards, salt flats but when we climbed up the hill and came to Dampier, we were pleasantly surprised. This town was built in 1965 as a port for iron ore. There is a lot of industry - a big iron ore terminal on the waterfront, big ships being loaded but the homes are pleasant with pretty gardens, there are lots of trees - gum and palm trees and the waterfront has a nice beach where we paddled. Nearby is a palm filled grassy area where holiday makers were picnicking and children were playing and trying to climb palm trees.

We followed a sign to the ‘North West Gas Shelf Project’ and were confronted by a load of ‘plumbing’, big tanks etc. We went into the Visitors Centre there which was very good, and which explained how liquid natural gas (LNG) was pumped from under the sea (the NW shelf), processed and then loaded into purpose built ships to be sent around the world. We watched a movie about it all - such a big project which began just 20 years ago.

As well as mining and LNG, Dampier processes salt. The salt is produced from seawater which flows through a series of ponds, where it evaporates, leaving crystal salt. It is harvested, washed and stockpiled ready for loading into ships. So Dampier has a lot of industry. We went over a railway bridge and there was a train, the carriages loaded with iron ore. I couldn’t see the end of them looking both sides of the bridge.

We drove towards the little Cove where we were hoping to see the Staircase to the Moon later this evening, but it was an awful road, dirt and corrugated so we turned around and came back to the caravan park for a lazy afternoon. We’ll try at our next town.

I did pick a few more wildflowers as they are quite prolific on the side of the road. The wattles are so pretty with big fluffy yellow balls
The waterfrontThe waterfrontThe waterfront

Can you see the piles of salt in the background?
but 'ouch' - full of prickles which was a surprise. I found the mauve cone flowers are called Mulla Mulla and I don't know the name of the little cerise pea type flower or the whitish one but they do look nice in my flower jar on the table.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb