Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
September 19th 2014
Published: September 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi travel followers.

Today we find ourselves setting up camp at Port Gregory (WA) after spending a couple of days at Kalbarri and before that at Hamlin Pool/Shell Beach.

After leaving Denham/Monkey Mia we visited Shell Beach as it is one of only two beaches in the world that is covered entirely in "billions upon billions" of extremely small Cockle Shells. The shells are rare as they only grow and thrive in the very salty water of Hamlin Pool which is "twice" as salty as normal sea water. These shells have been growing here and washing up on the shore for thousands of years to the point they have cemented themselves together to make a solid base which the early pioneers (mid 1800's) cut up with saws to make blocks to build houses etc. with. See photos.

Hamlin Pool also has the only remaining Telegraph station (now a museum) that relayed/transmitted messages by Morse Code from overseas to Perth and Melbourne, also in the late 1800's.

At the same place are the very rare Stromatolites which were apparently the original source of the earths oxygen supply. Very interesting.

We then headed to Kalbarri and the National Park which was highly recommended and included the "Natures Window" (see photos) and a spectacular Gorge which we did a 10km grade 4 walk through and around the rim and along the river via the sandstone cliff walls etc. A beer at the end of that day went down very nice indeed. Although this gorge is not well known, I must say it would have to rival Kings Canyon in the Northern Territory for beauty, colour, shear variety of scenery and plant life etc.

As mentioned above, we are now in Port Gregory and just came back from taking a few photos of the "Pink Lake". That's right, PINK. Apparently it gets it's colour from the bacteria that is trapped in the extremely high salt content water and supplies a rich source of Beta Carotene and is collected for sale from the small pools.

Hope you like the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Lyn sitting in "Natures Window" Lyn sitting in "Natures Window"
Lyn sitting in "Natures Window"

This overlooks Kalbarri Gorge.


20th September 2014

Well done
Beautiful colours and images in this blog...keep 'em coming
20th September 2014

Thanks.
Thanks Dave. We love sharing our experiences almost as much as the experience itself. Almost.
25th September 2014

Wonderful
colours in the rock. An interesting read, thankyou for blogging. Enjoy :)
28th September 2014
Kalbarri Gorge

Kalbarri Gorge
Nicely balanced with beautiful colours and textures in this pic. Worthy winner of Photo of the Week...well done.
28th September 2014
Kalbarri Gorge

Thanks Dave.
Thank you also for the nomination. Appreciated.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb