Kalbarri


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
May 1st 2012
Published: May 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

KalbarriKalbarriKalbarri

the Murchison River mouth where it meets the Indian Ocean
Kalbarri

28th April to 2nd May

After leaving Lynton we pass through Port Gregory which although it has a lot of history as an early port, is basically just a sleepy fishing destination these days along the coast. We did see one Lobster fishing vessel here so maybe a bit of commercial fishing also still happens here. Further along we went past the turnoff to Hutt River Province, a 75 sq klm principality. With their own government, money and postage stamps, Hutt River exists as an independent sovereign state (albeit not in law?) and welcomes tourists ensuring a source of revenue. We were unable to make the detour this trip to see the Principality much to Trisha’s dismay.

Kalbarri lies at the mouth of the Murchison River, flanked by the Kalbarri National Park. In 1629 Captain Pelsaert of the Dutch East India Company marooned two crew members implicated in the Batavia shipwreck and mutiny/massacre. These were the first, albeit unwilling, white inhabitants of Australia. Just south of the town is a plaque that marks the spot where these two ‘early settlers’ were offloaded. Officially established in 1951, it is interesting to note that the area it has
KalbarriKalbarriKalbarri

Fantastic frontage to the river
been a popular destination for over 150 years. In the early days the Cornish miners working their leases in the upper reaches of the Murchison River were subject to periodic flooding from distant cyclonic rains. Once flooded, the mines could not be worked for several weeks whilst they dried out and the miners would head downstream to the river mouth (Kalbarri today) for well-earned R & R.

Today Kalbarri is a beautiful town popular with families and fishos and the base for anyone wanting to explore the nearby famous Murchison River Gorges in the Kalbarri National Park, and they are as good as we were told they were ! Kalbarri is well serviced with shops and essential services although being a ‘tourist destination’ a long way from anywhere, competitive pricing is not it’s strong point.

Kalbarri National Park has dramatic coastal cliffs along its western boundary with towering river gorges along the Murchison just to the east of the town. The sandstone throughout the area is called Tumblagooda Sandstone and the Murchison River has carved out spectacular gorges through this sedimentary rock. The colours within the sandstone create a striking feature of these gorges, reds, browns, purples and white, in bands as the sea layered the sands millions of years ago. We spent a day walking the gorges doing Natures Window and the 8klm loop walk as well as the lookout at the Z Bend. The loop walk is well worth the effort, it is quite demanding as you ascend and descend rock faces. The route follows the cliff tops and then down to the river following the ledges and flood plain before rising again to the start at Nature’s window. The river redgums along the sandy flood plains provide a lush contrast to the Tumblagooda sandstone. Along the coast, the processes of erosion have fashioned amazing formations from the sea cliffs all easily accessible within short walks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

great beaches and plenty of fishing and watersports
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

Kalbarri National Parks - Cliff formations just south of town
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

Lobster boat setting pots below lookout on cliffs. We saw a pod of dolphins following pots looking for a free feed ! very cool ..
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

we dog sat fro some other people so that they could visit the National Park (no dogs allowed) as they did for us with Jackie. This is George the Great Dane and he just loved Jackie as she did him ! It was so nice, they played really well together. he was such a gentle giant with her.
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

George & Jackie
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

George & Jackie
Kalbarri National Park Kalbarri National Park
Kalbarri National Park

Murchison River Gorges, Loop walk


1st May 2012

Finlay's Seafood BBQ
If you are still in Kalbarri you should try this establishment for diner. Very unique and good food. We were there in Oct 2008 and really enjoyed it.
5th May 2012

Damn !
..we had left and have had no coverage until now...net blog to come will show where we have been. Hope you enjoyed the Kalbarri entry and it brought back some fond memories for you of your trip. Murchison Gorges were awesome.
2nd May 2012

Kalbarri
I have been following your blog since you have got back on the road. Certainly covering a few miles and the pictures are very good. Google earth shows most of the places you visit and street view of the towns shows not too much green grass. Never mind, here in the UK, we have had the wettest April since records began and are still under a drought order!!! Have fun. Brian
5th May 2012

Green Grass....
...Jackie is finding it harder as we go north to find a 'suitable piece of green grass'. It is sandier, drier and less of anything basically but all good. Not long to go now till we call you 'Grandpa'!!
3rd May 2012

Love Affair
George and Jackie soul mates for ever. George is missing Jackie. Hope to catch up again. Excellent photos, you are a great photoghrapher. Loved your blog.
5th May 2012

Well hello "Big Black Dog'!
No folks I am not being derogatory, that is the name that Glenda, Peter & George (The Great Dane) go by. Nice to hear from you and glad you enjoyed the pics, they are special. Lets hope we can get together again soon.
3rd May 2012

love the view
hi Mike andTrish what great photo and story glad jackie found a friend speak to you soon love judyxx
5th May 2012

Jackie did find a friend !
...and a very BIG one, but so placid and gentle with her.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb