There are no flies on us - we wish!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have now travelled further up the west coast and are in Kalbarri. We are on anther caravan park in another unit. It is really nice and it is ensuite. We have big lounge-diner as well as the Kitchen, our room and other room with bunk beds in. We can also see the sea when we are sitting on the sofa! The units so far have been great (lets hope it continues). I think the move from backpacking to flashpacking is definately complete!

As Kalbarri is right on the coast we hand a long beach walk on our first day which was nice. When I went out later to take a photo I saw a big flock of galahs! I was obviously highly delighted about this and took lots of photos. They were very tame and seemed rather to keen on standing in the middle of the road! Early evening is definately the time for parrot spotting.

Today we started the day with Pelican feeding! There are quite a few pelicans around here and as they have been feeding them every morning for the last 30 years they tend to all appear at 8:45 when it is fish time. Close up pelicans are big! I got to hold a fish out for one and it took it out of my hand. It's bill is massive and I am sure it could have swallowed my hand if it wanted to!

After the Pelican feeding we went to the national park. Are plans were somewhat thwarted by the fact that the road we wanted to go down was VERY rough. It said it was fine for 2 wheel drive cars but there was no way we could risk it! After consulting the tourist office we soon found some other bits of National Park to visit which were much more accessable. The park is lovely with big gorges in some areas and rugged coast line in other bits BUT and it is a big but I have never, ever been somewhere with so many flies! They are only small flies but they buzz round your face constantly and seem to want to be in your eyes and mouth all the time! The number that landed on our backs was mindboggling! (wait til I upload the photos) Aside from all the flies it was good though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb