Jurien Bay & Sandy Cape


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Jurien Bay
April 22nd 2012
Published: April 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jurien BayJurien BayJurien Bay

A good safe swimming beach
Jurien Bay & Sandy Cape

22rd & 23rd April 2012

Jurien Bay was named by Commodore Nicholas Baudin in 1801, honouring Charles Jurien of the French Navy administration who later became a Count. In the latter part of the last century wheat, wool, grain, bat manure (yes you read right!), manna gum and kangaroo, cattle and horse hides were shipped from the jetty.

Jurien Bay later became a fishing port and more recently another centre for the WA Rock Lobster Industry, which is the towns’ biggest industry. The town is the largest along the coast and is very popular as a tourist destination these days. Protected by offshore reefs and islands (as many of these small coastal towns are along this stretch) and with great white sandy beaches make this a popular spot. The town itself has most basic facilities and services, including a medical centre, to support a stand alone community and with Geraldton an easy drive to the North a number of people see it as an ideal retirement place as well. Needless to say the fishing is a major attraction for many particularly with the new boat ramps and sheltered boat harbour facilities built near the commercial fishing wharf.

We did not stop in Jurien Bay but went on a few Klms north to Sandy Cape where there is a camping ground ($15/night) on a magnificent bay with fantastic white beaches. The camping ground is set behind a sand dune from the main beach and each camp spot is secluded in the scrub. Basic drop toilets, that were very clean, are all that is provided. The beach itself is in a bay and was spectacular. A lookout up on one of the headlands to the bay provides a great spot to watch the sunset each night and gives a great view back over the bay and campground. We could have stayed here for a week easily, highly recommend it !

This is a great seaside town and a good stopover along the Turquoise coast, no I don’t know what bat manure is (was) used for and imagine the job of collecting it ! If I find out more We will let you all know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Jurien BayJurien Bay
Jurien Bay

The new Marina
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

Magic beach and bay just over the sand dune from where we are camped
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

looking back over the bay and the camping ground behind the dunes from the point.
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

Great camp site
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

A sunset over the point
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

We really enjoyed this spot.
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

enough said...magic !
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

Ho Hum..another sunset
Sandy CapeSandy Cape
Sandy Cape

Jackie on Lifesaver duty (shark spotting!) up at the lookout on top of the point.


30th April 2012

What a campsite!
Jurien Bay looks lovely and this must have been where you kept sending me pictures of the sunsets! Amazing campsite! And I love the photo of Jackie! It is good to see her in the photos, and you too Dad. Let Mum have a go of the camera! :) xox
30th April 2012

The Camera...
...hmm, not so sure about handing it over to Mum, but will try harder :)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb