Days 71 and 73 - More Mornington


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The OKAThe OKAThe OKA

On the way to Lake Gladstone
When we checked out the Mornington website and other relevant information prior to commencing our trip, there had been a mention of Lake Gladstone, a small freshwater lake on the property. Birdwatching tours to Lake Gladstone were sometimes offered and because a guide was available and we were keen a trip was offered. Nobody else put their hand up (it was almost a full day trip including the travelling) so Joe took us both in the OKA (Read large ex-military 4WD bus) to Lake Gladstone. The OKA has hard suspension (a bit like the cruiser) so the bumps didn't concern us. Georgi noticed that Joe was a Leonardo DiCaprio look-alike so I let her sit in the front....

We saw a variety of birds at the lake including a paperbark flycatcher and also some feral pigs and we had a lovely packed lunch to eat from the restaurant. We had our lunch at the Hann River which was nearby.

Our last full day at Mornington was split into two halves; in the morning we did a bird watching tour with one other person (and Joe) which allowed us to visit a small rockpool where various (mostly smaller) birds came
Lake GladstoneLake GladstoneLake Gladstone

Looking south from the bird hide
to water. Joe had arranged for muffins and tea or coffee which was excellent as it was an early start.

In the afternoon, we visited the two human watering holes (Cadjeput and Bluebush) where Mornington visitors swam and / or rested. We returned to enjoy a BBQ (provided by the restaurant) before an early night.

Mornington has a lot to offer and all the staff are great. Try and make the time to visit here if you are on the Gibb. You won't be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Finches at the early morning birdwatchingFinches at the early morning birdwatching
Finches at the early morning birdwatching

Double barred, long tailed and Gouldian Finches drinking from the rockpool.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb