Day 68 - Windjana Gorge to Mt Hart


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We travelled the 20 odd kilometres from the Windjana Gorge NP to the Gibb River Road and turned right. Back on the Gibb again. We headed up through the Napier Range and then on to the King Leopold Ranges - staggeringly beautiful and rugged land.

The first place that we knew about on the GRR was Mount Hart. A remote wilderness lodge with recent ownership changes. It reminded us a little of Mataranka Resort.

The new managers Andrea and David are a great pair and make everyone welcome. They provide mudmaps of the property so that you can explore all of their little jewels.

We had dinner there that night and met Philip. Philip is a photographer and friend of the owner / leaseholder of Mt Hart. He was up this way to take photos and arrange a marketing program for next season for some of the fabulous locations that are only available to those with a chopper. More importantly, Philip is a local and a great source of knowledge. He and Georgi chatted about her travels through outback Australia on a motorbike when she was a teenager. Fortuitously, Philip was able to fill in some forty year old gaps that Georgi had wondered about for many years.

Read more about Philip at his facebook or website:

https://www.facebook.com/PhilipSchubertPhotography?fref=ts

If you have a half hour to spare ask Georgi about the old man at Old Lamboo station - it's a really fascinating story of recent Australian history.

Just a night at Mt Hart because we were aiming for Mornington Wilderness Camp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The bar at Mt HartThe bar at Mt Hart
The bar at Mt Hart

Andrea (Manager at Mt Hart) chats to Georgi


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb