Days 54 - 56 - ElQ to Home Valley (via Kununurra!)


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Pentecost River CrossingThe Pentecost River CrossingThe Pentecost River Crossing

Cockburn ranges in the background - an iconic shot
When it came to leave ElQ we looked at our food and knew that we didn't have enough stocks to last along the GRR. In fact, we knew that already, but we had eaten plenty of our food over the last week and, in the end, we decided that it would be best if we went back to Kunners (again) and restocked before we went deeper and darker down the Gibb.

Just before we reached Home Valley Station, there is the crossing of the Pentecost River. This can sometimes be tricky at the start of the season, but being such a dry wet season, the water in the river was relatively shallow. We took some photos as it is a staggeringly beautiful place.

We thought that we could get into town and back out to Home Valley in time to greet the last of the Gibb Challenge riders, but, they being smart people, started early and had finished their ride just before we got back to Home Valley. The place was chockers - lucky that we had booked a hotel room for that night....there was not a spare metre of grass or dust to set up camp.

It was charity auction night and there was hundreds (about 800 I think) Gibbers (and others) bidding on all manner of items. Nathan from Home Valley was lucky enough to get one of the two fat bikes available on the night.

The next day the campground was pretty much empty - we moved over on to the grass and uploaded photos to the laptop and rested in the morning. In the afternoon, we lazed around the pool drinking cocktails and photographing the birds.

On Friday, some exercise was required so we did a short walk to a lookout in the early morning. The afternoon was scheduled to be a fishing trip. Ray (another Home Valley guest), Georgi and I went barra fishing with Tom and some other guys from HV. Check out the photos is all I need to say! We had dinner that night with Ray and his wife Karen and Tray (one of the local trainees who had done the hard work for the fishers).

Our time at Home Valley came to an abrupt end as the Engel fridge failed and we were faced with another tricky choice. Continue down the GRR with no fridge or return to Kununurra and try and get a replacement.

It was back to Kununurra for us - that place is a magnet!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Pentecost River with Cockburn RangesPentecost River with Cockburn Ranges
Pentecost River with Cockburn Ranges

Our fishing spot - the cattle ford - the tidal river falls to expose a rock bar
Dinner is servedDinner is served
Dinner is served

Tom cleaned the fish and Home Valley kitchen cook it
Dinner companionsDinner companions
Dinner companions

Tray, Ray, Karen and Georgi
No bullNo bull
No bull

This guy got out and wandered around the campground!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb