Gibb River and Gorgeous Gorges


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Gibb River Road
November 11th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After our unexpected bog experience it was lovely to have a bit of a lie-in. In complete contrast to the mud-splattered states we were in the day before, we relaxed round the pool in the morning while Ian went to rescue the bus which had been stood in the mud overnight. We all cheered when he finally came back avec bus! Set off again in the afternoon after thanking the Parry Creek people for their help, stopping at the Five River Lookout at Wyndham. It was quite interesting to see where the rivers join (with help from the map) but wasn't the most inspiring view compared to the sights we've previously seen - a bit grey at the edges due to the silt at the edges.

We had a long journey to our camp at Pentecost River ahead of us, having been delayed a day and a half. Ian was debating whether to go the more direct Gibb River route even thought some places were closed at this time of year, or go south round the highway which was longer and had fewer places to see on the way. Everyone was happy that he decided to drive us down the famous Gibb River Road, even though we were possibly risking more muddied roads!

At Pentecost River Ian left us to take pictures by the waters' edge - got quite close until I remembered that there were saltwater crocodiles in there! Dinner was insect hell for some unknown reason - massive crickets jumping on me and moths flying erratically around while I was trying to wash up and didn't have a spare hand to swat them away! Never seen anything like it! There were also beetles which were like wind up toys that jump in random directions - you had to make sure they weren't pointing at your for their next jump as it's a horrible feeling to be landed on. We had a few beers and had a real giggle, playing the 'Moon in the Spoon' game (don't ask!)

Most had gone to bed but Ian, Jane, Chell, Carol and I rolled out a couple of swags and lay on them looking up at the stars. It was one of those 'wow' moments when I thought 'I can't believe I'm in Oz looking up at the universe!' It was so peaceful we all almost fell asleep at the same time. Off to our tents though as we thought that we would probably be covered in insects by the morning!

In the morning we had to drive over the river that we'd taken photos the previous night. Three road trains had stopped by the water's edge as they didn't think they could make it across - the water was pretty deep! Ian played the William Tell overture over the speakers which was strangely fitting as we all held our breath thinking 'Please don't get stuck again'! Especially in a river with maneating crocs! Thankfully we got across with no trouble - well done Ian. Stopped at a remote spot to see two Aboriginal drawings - a dismembered person (eek) and crocodile pictures - that you'd never know were there without inside knowledge. Ian told everyone who needed the toilet to go the RIGHT hand side of the bus as the LEFT hand side was the sacred site. Which way did Elizabeth head but the left hand side! Ian will despair of her I'm sure.

Next stop was a fairly short walk to Galvin's Gorge which had a freezing waterfall and rope swing! On to Windjana where we set up our last camp with the existing group (some including the tour guide were leaving at Broome) and had showers under the stars - the cubicles had no ceilings, very bizarre but quite cool. Don't think it'll catch on in England though!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb