Fremantle - Maritime Museum


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
October 1st 2011
Published: October 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Perths trainsPerths trainsPerths trains

A great service. Pension day rider $3.70 from 9.00 to close of day, go anywhere bus and train. BARGAIN!
A day is easily filled with a visit to tha Maratime Museum at Fremantle. We were joined by our son and daughter-in-law and Ben and Bec. The kids enjoyed themselves as there were plenty of interactive things to do. Ben says he is going to be a gold miner when he grows up and found huch treasure including gold in the various displays. He has now added pearles to his must have list.

As is common in maritme museums, there are many intricate models of ancient and modern ships. The distinction here is that there are a number of original vessels important to Perth's history.

HMAS Ovens is a submarine which retired from service in the late 1990s after serving as a general submarine based out of Fremantle and at the later part of its service as a submarine training school based at the same port.

The entry fee to the museum is modest and can include a conducted tour of the submarine. Those who are tall had to be ultra cautios - those that were small had to stretch to get through the watertight hatches.

The photos include some interesting social notices on the trains.

The train transport around Perth and Fremantle is great for seniors and all co-ordinates with the bus services.




Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

HMAS Ovens 02HMAS Ovens 02
HMAS Ovens 02

A containership comes into port
HMAS Ovens 04HMAS Ovens 04
HMAS Ovens 04

The forward torpedo room. In later years the rear torpedo room was made into a class room.
HMAS Ovens 05HMAS Ovens 05
HMAS Ovens 05

Narrow ladders and tight hatches between sections of the sub. Imagine bringing the torpedoes down thos stairs to the torpedoe racks.
HMAS Ovens 06HMAS Ovens 06
HMAS Ovens 06

Seamen accomodation - we wont comment on the width of our motorhome beds ever again! Lady in photo was very keen to learn as her grandfather was a submariner in this same class of sub.
HMAS Ovens 07HMAS Ovens 07
HMAS Ovens 07

Senior seamen accomodation and mess
HMAS Ovens 08HMAS Ovens 08
HMAS Ovens 08

Now which valve was it you wanted adjusted?
HMAS Ovens 18HMAS Ovens 18
HMAS Ovens 18

The galley - and nor will we ever comment again on bench space in our motorhome!


19th October 2011

It was great viewing your photos had not been in for a while so had a surprise. I imagine your motor home look pretty big after the sub stuff. Glad I did not serve in one of those things. Good your travels are going well. Love Mum & Dad

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 165; dbt: 0.1459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb