Perth, Fremantle & Rottnest Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
September 5th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We went to the Perth Mint where they make the collectable coins. Years ago they used to make Sovereigns for England. They had a display of what it was like on the goldfields during the gold rush. I am holding a replica of the “Welcome Stranger”. The biggest gold nugget ever found.

At Kings Park we saw some ducks with 9 ducklings. They were really fluffy and really scared of us.

We went to our friends (that we met in Coral Bay) for a couple of plays. They live close to the Caravan Park where we stayed. We had tea there one night.

On Wednesday we went to Rottnest Island. We took the ferry from Perth and had a cruise down the river before picking up the rest of the passengers. I saw some Quokkas. One had a baby in its pouch. The baby stuck its head out when we leaving. There was a peacock that was chasing a Quokka near the shops. It was very bossy. I was thinking poor Quokka.

At Fremantle we went to the Maritime Museum and did a tour of HMAS Ovens Submarine. We climbed through the submarine. The guide told us all about the submarine. The toilet is really small and the shower even smaller. You can’t take off your clothes in the shower; you have to do it in the passage and then jump into the shower. You could only shower for 90seconds to save water.

As we were leaving we went to the old prison at Fremantle. It was closed on 7th November, 1991. There was razor wire around the outside and between the exercise yards. They used to fit 170 prisoners into a very small area. In the end the guards let them paint on the wall, which was normally not allowed. They painted a picture of trees, sky and open land. I bought a toy prisoner which has magnets in his hands and he can stick to metal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb