Days 60-61 Kununurra to Fitzroy Crossing via Halls Creek


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Philip Munda and GeorgiPhilip Munda and GeorgiPhilip Munda and Georgi

Georgi is holding a carved boab nut that has also been painted
The new plan meant that we could drive on the blacktop for a while and that was comforting. We left Kununurra and drove through Warmun and on to Halls Creek where we stopped at the only Caravan Park. It had very little grass but luckily, there was a nice pool area with a BBQ and we lazed the afternoon away there and had an early dinner. Then it was across the road to the motel where we had cocktails and played pool.

The next day was an easy 300 kilometre drive down to Fitzroy Crossing where there were three Caravan Parks. We stopped at the Tourist Info Centre to ask about local attractions and tour times and met Philip Munda, a local artist. We bought a few things from Philip and booked a tour of the Geikie Gorge for the next morning.

We checked in at the Fitzroy River Lodge and selected a site with plenty of grass! A little later, another Hitop Cruiser returned and parked next door. This one had been rented by a German called Heinz who was spending six months touring Australia (for the fifth time). We have met quite a few German tourists while we have been travelling. They all seem to love Australia and most of them keep returning. Heinz was an interesting guy to talk to.

Georgi had been concerned about the small number of hoppers we had seen in the wild. Usually we would just see a few dead ones on the side of the road. It was great to be able to see the large number of hoppers that came to feast on the grass at Fitzroy River Lodge that afternoon and evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb