Esperance to Mason Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
November 24th 2011
Published: December 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mason BayMason BayMason Bay

.....Our Campsite in the sand dunes
Today we are leaving Esperance for a free camp destination at Mason Bay. Following the South Coast Hwy for 60 or so Klm passing through predominantly cropping country we saw herds of beef cattle and Merinos for the first time in months. We had decided to get of the main roads and head towards the coast to follow it to Mason Bay and as such we turned off at Springdale Road, a dirt road that appeared on our maps and info to head about 15 Klm towards the coast to meet another dirt road that would follow the coast. It was amazing to pass wild Kangaroo Paw, growing profusely along the roadsides and we thought about all the thousands of dollars that are spent on buying this plant and attempting to grow it in gardens in the Eastern States. It was prolific, in big 'clumps', and with deep magenta flowers and looked fantastic.

Our trip was unevenful along these side roads, a bit of dust and some corrugations but all the time interesting travelling through heath land. At around 90 klm out of Esperance we came to Stokes Inlet, an estuary popular with fishos and behind sand dunes that hide
Mason BayMason BayMason Bay

..as you can see ...not too far to the beach !
a long sandy beach, another popular camp site. Next we came to Munglinup Beach. A council run camping ground looks interesting here and may be worth a return trip when we intend to come back later in Feb next year.The beach is bordered by a natural reef which makes swimming quite safe on this southern coast as we saw at a few beaches in Esperance. The crystal clear waters and white sand made us think that maybe we should change our destination plans and stop here but on we pressed.

At around 160 Klm we saw a sign to Mason Bay and turning onto a well corrugated stretch of road we bounced our way towards the supposedly 'great camping spot'. I will let the photos detail our camp site, but needless to say we stayed 3 days and it was fantastic. Crystal clear waters and a pristine white beach in a secluded and protected (from the weather) setting. Sometimes the dust and corrugations are all worthwhile !


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

....Our track down to Beach
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

Trish & Jackie getting to know our home for the next few days..it will be tough but someone has to do it !!
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

..yes well...
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

...it was OK....
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

....yeah OK, It was good !
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

... We came here at great personal sacrifice just so that we could share these photos with all you guys ! It is a long way from anywhere and the weather just is not that good here !
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

The walk got to be too far ...so we drove to our beach !!
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

All this exercise could do serious damage to your health !
Mason BayMason Bay
Mason Bay

King Neptune ? ...No, just the old man of the sea !


9th December 2011
Mason Bay

poor things feel sorry for you having to do that for a few days. Must try this spot next time were there
9th December 2011

Thank you Wendy & Jeff
..It was a tough few days but, as I said, someone had to do it so that all you good folk could experience a little bit of the hardships we went through by looking at the pics. I would make sure you see this coast if you are within this vicinity, it is amazing.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb