El Questro - another beautiful day


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 4

An early start again, to walk into El Questro Gorge. This is rated as hard to extreme in places, so R&E decided to spend the morning in camp. The walk into the gorge is actually along the river bed, you are walking amongst tall palms and Pandanas as you climb up and around rocks and large boulders till you get to the first pool, where you are faced with a massive boulder and cascading waterfall, which seems to block your path. A swim across the pool, then a climb over the boulder is required to get to the next level. After putting shoes and backpacks in plastic bags, which were passed up and over I managed not very elegantly and with the help of Bob and another kind gentleman to make it. I was to find on the return that there was an easier way. We made it to the top pool and waterfall then did it all over again on the return journey I found it was easier to go down the waterfall, much more graceful. It took the best part of 5 hours but was well worth the effort.

In the afternoon we checked out another of the lookouts and some of the fishing holes. No fish caught!

Returning back to camp out of the dust appeared two donkeys. They have worked out that if they stand on the road cars will stop and they are only too eager to put their head in thru the window to see if there might be an apple or carrot on offer.

This is a busy place as it is on the bitumen so access is easy, it was school holidays so that added to the number of campers. Definitely worth visiting for the beautiful scenery and gorges. The only downside was we all ended up with a tummy bug, we think from either the water or swimming just too many people confined to a small area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

El Questro GorgeEl Questro Gorge
El Questro Gorge

The markers on the rocks show the way
First Pool and BoulderFirst Pool and Boulder
First Pool and Boulder

I managed to climb over this!
Swimmers at first poolSwimmers at first pool
Swimmers at first pool

on our return there were lots of people a the bottom pool
Approach to Pidgeon HoleApproach to Pidgeon Hole
Approach to Pidgeon Hole

A bit rough accessing this fishing spot
DonkeyDonkey
Donkey

Donkey Bandit!


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb