Western Australia continues


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Dunsborough
January 9th 2011
Published: January 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

PerthPerthPerth

From King's Park

January 4 Augusta, WA.

We stayed another day in Walpole and went out on an Eco boat tour around the bay. It was a fun trip, the guide was full of stories about the area with everything from snake bites, shark attacks, and bank robberies. That plus amazingly beautiful surroundings made for a great trip. Part of it was a hike over a hill to a beach where some of the world’s oldest rocks are situated. These rocks where once mountains that have been dated to 4.5 billion years old. There are similar rocks in the Himalayans from when the continents were joined.
And the beaches themselves…miles and miles of white sand beaches with hardly a person to be seen. But considering the water is coming straight from Antarctica, with lots of big waves, and a fair number of sharks, I guess it is understandable that few people venture into it. And yes, I waded into the Southern Ocean just so I could say I have been in it.

Later that day we went for a walk around the head of the bay. The area here is so quiet, with large, white, eucalyptus tress. One area would have
PerthPerthPerth

On the Beach
them, another would have Tingle trees and still another just shrubs. Along the road ways, the tree tend to create canopies over the roads. I think Darrel is getting tired of me saying “It‘s so beautiful here”

I should also mention that on our first day here we drove to a small protected beach area and watched some kids playing on the docks. They were feeding fish to some pretty big stingrays. These rays would literally take the fish out of the kid’s hands. And competing for the fish where some of the largest pelicans I have ever seen. They stand about as tall as I do. Unfortunately the pictures don’t give you an accurate idea of their size. All in all, we enjoyed Walpole.

Today we were up early and headed to the Valley of the Giants Walkway. This is a park area where the giant Tingle Trees have been protected. A 600m long suspended ramp rises up into the canopy of these trees and its highest point we were 40m above the ground. The ramp is designed to sway in the breeze to mimic life in the canopy, and the flooring is an open grate. The
PerthPerthPerth

From King's Park
best part of the visit was that we were the first people there and had the whole ramp to ourselves. By the time we left, the parking lot was filling up.

From there we drove to Northcliffe where we detoured to the waters edge. Again, there were miles and miles of white beaches with waves crashing in. There was also some very unique limestone formations. Hopefully the pictures do this area justice.

From there it was to Augusta where we will spend the next three days. Another pretty spot.


January 7 Dunsborough

Our three days in Augusta where spent more in Margaret River than Augusta. The first night in Augusta we had a very nice room with an ensuite. This room had everything one would expect from a hotel room, including a fridge, toaster, kettle, tea, coffee, towels, and even a hair drier. Because when we booked, we could only get this room for our first and third night at the hostel, we agreed to take a family room for the second. We paid the same amount as for the ensuite room and got a room with a double bed and a set of bunks.
An Arbutus Tree\?An Arbutus Tree\?An Arbutus Tree\?

Or is it a Tingle Tree? Both shed their bark.
Bedding was included and that was all. ?Quite a discrepancy between the rooms. Oh well…such is hostel living I guess.



Our first day in Augusta, it rained. Not really a bad thing as driving here we passed through heavy smoke from bush fires so the rain was a blessing for that. And the rain also sent us to Margaret River just for something to do. While there, we booked ourselves into a wine tour for the next day. From there we headed back towards Augusta and stopped at one of the tourist caves along the way. This was the Lake Cave, and true to its name, it has a small lake in it. It also has ‘floating islands’ which a stalagmites that a suspended above the water. But that is enough caves for us.

Our wine tour the next day was fun. We drove back to Margaret River where we were picked up at the tourist office. Their were twelve of us and together we visited 6 wineries and had a fancy lunch. Darrel had to behave a bit as he had to drive back to Augusta later. I didn’t haven’t any such restrictions. All in
AlbanyAlbanyAlbany

Whaling Station
all, a good day.

Today on our way out of Augusta we stopped for a visit at the Leeuwin Light House just south of town. This is Australia’s tallest land based lighthouse and is on the most south westerly point of the country. It is also at the place where the Southern and Indian Oceans meet. The wave meet here, pounding in from two different directions. After we climbed the lighthouse, and got our pictures, (including the one of the large brown snake that was on the sidewalk) we headed for the water. Not only did I have my feet in two different oceans, within ten minutes of each other, but I can now brag that I have been in every ocean in the world.

From there we headed north to Dunsborough, stopping to admire some amazing beaches along the way. The beaches here are long, white, empty beaches where the waves crash into the shore line. Beautiful. At one point we stopped for a while to watch a person surfing. Seems like a lot of effort for a very short ride.

Our current digs leave a bit to be desired. We are in another hostel but
AlbanyAlbanyAlbany

Limestone bridge
this one is not quite the same standard as the others were. We have a simple room with bunk beds and very little space. Mostly young kids here, but at least it is not a party spot. But, the place is on a beach and the beach is worth the stay. Might even go for a swim tomorrow. Our neighbour is Bridget whom we met at the hostel in Walpole.

January 8 Dunsborugh

Two days and two snakes. We went for a walk into town (5 km return, plus around town) this morning and on the return trip stopped rather rapidly when another snake slithered across our path. This one was quite dark and did a side winder slither rather than straight forward. When we got back to the hostel we asked our host what he thought it might be. He figured it may have been a Tiger Snake which is, of course, very poisonous.

Then this afternoon we went and found a beach with some shade and sat their for a few hours. I am pretty sure we also saw our first kookaborros. Another bird we have seen so far is an emu. It is pretty
Leeuwim LighthouseLeeuwim LighthouseLeeuwim Lighthouse

At Augusta. We climbed to the top.
big. We are still waiting to see a live kangaroo as the 9 we have seen so far have been along the road, dead. . The animals and vegetation are so different here but also so very interesting.

Other than that, another fairly quite day. We are currently digesting a delicious barbeque dinner hosted by our hostel and are sitting outside of our room enjoying this little piece of paradise. Tomorrow we head back to Perth.





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Two oceans meetTwo oceans meet
Two oceans meet

The Souther Ocean and the Indian Ocean colilide att he foot of the Leeuwin Lighhous.
From the top of the lighthouseFrom the top of the lighthouse
From the top of the lighthouse

At this point, we are 'oceans apart. Darrel on the Southern Ocean and me on the Indian.
Brown snakeBrown snake
Brown snake

At the lighthouse
Brown SnakeBrown Snake
Brown Snake

Not too small
BeachesBeaches
Beaches

I do love those beaches.
Lake Cave at Margret RiverLake Cave at Margret River
Lake Cave at Margret River

The base of this lis actually above the water/ground level.
Lake CaveLake Cave
Lake Cave

It was a long climb out of there
BeachesBeaches
Beaches

Of Western Australia
Darrel at the GapDarrel at the Gap
Darrel at the Gap

Near the limestone bridge at Albany
Southern OceanSouthern Ocean
Southern Ocean

Near Walpole


11th January 2011

Sooooo! Beautiful.
Just home from Derek's had an amazing time with all. Babies are alot of work but worth all the effort. Your photography of the beaches in WA are incredible. You are definately experiencing Aussies raw beauty. Love sharing your journey and especially now your in Aust. i'm getting itchy feet. Keep taking snake pics Tim loves them. Be careful and keep having fun!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb