Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
August 20th 2014
Published: August 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Cathedral at the Bungle Bungles.The Cathedral at the Bungle Bungles.The Cathedral at the Bungle Bungles.

Check out the size by Graeme at the bottom right.
Hi travel followers.

There is no surprise, we have moved on from Kununurra and have now arrived and set up camp at Derby, but not before one or two overnight stops at the Bungle Bungles, Halls Creek, Mary River and Fitzroy Crossing.

I must say we are glad we took the Bungle Bungles flight first as they are even more spectacular when you see them up close and personal. Places like the Dome walk, the Cathedral, the lookout and Echidna Chasm all have excellent walks and are unbelievable. If there is a supreme creator, he had a good day the day he created the Bungle Bungles.

In the Kimberly they have a saying, when god created the earth, he took all the left over rocks and put them in the Kimberly. I would have to say they are pretty close to the mark.

After the Bungle Bungles we headed further west with a quick stop and look around at Halls Creek (not a great deal going there) and then a nights stop over at a "free" camp at Mary River. Fantastic stop and it gives you an idea just how many people are travelling at any one time around Australia as there had to be at least 40 vans, motor homes and camper trailers etc. all pulled in there for a night or more and this is the same scenario everywhere we go.

From there we spent a couple of nights at Fitzroy Crossing to check out Geike Gorge and Tunnel Creek. Geike Gorge was ok, but after all the places we have seen so far, it is hard to rate it any different however the walk out the gorge and back along the Fitzroy river bank was like walking the Sahara desert. I would love to be here in the wet season to see the river in flood as it is huge and you can see the flood level marks on the walls of the gorge 20 meters up.

The following day we did a day trip 110km north along the Gibb River Road (all dirt/bull dust and corrugations) to Tunnel Creek which was apparently used by an Aboriginal fugitive as a hideout from police back in the 1800's. Again, this is a WOW place that is not to be missed. It takes some getting there and you have to take a good torch and wear water shoes to walk through the actual Tunnel/Creek for a few hundred meters, but it is well worth the effort. See photos.

From Fitzroy Crossing we moved on the Derby and this is where we are now for a couple of days just to check out the sights like the Prison Tree and the Wharf walk before moving on yet again ever west wards to Broome.

Hope you like the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Echidna ChasmEchidna Chasm
Echidna Chasm

Check out the size of this by the people standing at the bottom.
The Prison Tree - DerbyThe Prison Tree - Derby
The Prison Tree - Derby

This is a giant Boab tree possibly thousands of years old used 150 years ago as an overnight prison. It is hollowed out inside.
Artesion water trough - Derby Artesion water trough - Derby
Artesion water trough - Derby

Used by overland cattle drovers and can water 500+ cattle at one time.
The Bungle BunglesThe Bungle Bungles
The Bungle Bungles

The entrance to the Cathedral


8th September 2014

The colours are amazing
Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb