Derby Rodeo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
August 7th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The tourists are still hanging out in Derby town and last weekend was no exception, it was rodeo and there were lots of cowboys and gals in town. It was a sea of belt buckles and hats in Woolies.
Friday night was auction night, when the main riders were auctioned off at the pub. One guy went for $500. The girls and I went in on a cowboy (who we will call John Wayne) for the bargain basement price of $50. Unfortunately when the time came for the big event he didn't stay on for long but it was fun to watch.
Saturday was Rodeo time and after a lovely brunch with the girls we packed up the picnic rug and spent the afternoon watching the riders. They had a band playing that night so we put on our jeans and drank beer or burbon (all that was on offer) from the bar and danced happily until the mood was spolit with the sudden death of a local who collapsed right in front of us. Needless to say, it was a sober ending to a fun night.
Sunday afternoon we went back to the arena to watch the finals. It was good to see but I have to say it wasn't my favourite of weekends up here.
I am also including photos of a Long table dinner which was held about 3 weeks ago. The Derby Festival holds this event each year. A night of entertainment and beautiful under the stars. Everyone sits around a long table and enjoys being inthe Kimberly. I know I did!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Too cuteToo cute
Too cute

Just like they saw their Dad do.


11th August 2011

So cute
The photos of the kids are so cute... so endearing! It all looks like wonderful fun and the long table dinner looks so atmospheric. I am so glad you are having a good time attending all the local events. Love, Mum.
11th August 2011

Good Photos
Hi Sister, good photos here. Glad Derby town is still parading out this endless procession of crazy activities to keep you occupied. Mud crab racing, long table dinners, mud soccer, rodeos and horse racing...what will it be next weekend? Hope the locals are saving something special for October 2 - 12. Love you so much, kisses to Veg, Mia xxx

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb