Race Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
June 27th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another jammed packed week in Derby town. Grandparents arrived (minor arrival hiccup) without too much fuss and have settled in nicely to the relaxed pace of Derby life.
Friday was our school Athletics carnival which was lots of fun and games. I enjoyed participating in the teacher running relay.
Friday night was a massive Boab Pub experience. The infamous Pigram Brothers played a sensational gig which was attended by at least 98% of the town's population.
Saturday saw the Derby Cup come to town. Every man and his dog packed into our cute little race track and spent up big on alcohol and bets. It was quite the event with fashions on the field and a dash for cash (running race) which added to the fun of it all.
Sunday was rest day, but it didn't have to be. There was a Poets breakfast on at the CWA attended by about 200 people as well as a Sunday session featuring Nathan Gaunt. I stayed home and recovered.

This week (T2W9) is basically a non-teaching week for me. Today my class took over running the school canteen and made a hefty $800 on morning tea and a sausage sizzle. Tomorrow we head into Broome for a special basketball comp, Thursday we prepare for our school fete (which is on on Sunday) and on Friday we are out of school all day with a Netball/ Footy lightning carnival.
I barely have time to breathe let alone print and file my reports. I certainly didn't expect to be this busy in sleepy Derby, but I am having a ball and really feel part of the town now.
I will keep you in the loop, but no one can really tell what the next fun thing will be here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb