Western Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Coast
July 25th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Forgot to touch on events between Broome and Perth. Alot of the time was weighted in driving the couple of thousand kilometers between the states two main stopping points. The drive is through sparse open bushland skirting onto the coast infrequently and briefly. This was certainly a disappointment for me, having trekked through with a surfboard which never got wet!


In retrospect, if I'd read my surfing book, and checked spots on a road map, I'd have realised in advance, there are no roads to surf, 4WD is a surfers best friend in WA!

We did manage to get into the Indian Ocean again after Broome, down the coast at Coral Bay while Lauren went diving on the Ningaloo Reef. The beach was sunny and picturesque, but after a breif dip in the cool waters, the winds forced us back to the campsite, where we pulled the matresses out of the van and lay in the sun on the grass.

We also made a quick morning visit to Hamelin's Pool, where stramatolites (the oldest form of living organisms) reside in the calm waters, protected on the inside coast of a 200km long peninsular.

One last stop on our last day at The Pinnacles. A 3km looped beach driving track with thousands of dark rocks sticking out from the contrasting yellow sand. The short drive was interspersed with fleeting runs to viewpoints to take the odd piccies whilst getting soaked, having posted home our rain jackets!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

StramatolitesStramatolites
Stramatolites

i have no certainty on the spelling!


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb