Exmouth to Carnarvon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
August 21st 2008
Published: September 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Exmouth Caravan Park PoolExmouth Caravan Park PoolExmouth Caravan Park Pool

What we would like to have - in our dreams!
Drove to Cape Range National Park and said hello to the families we met at Millstream N.P. They were both at T-Bone Bay. The kids had a play together then we had lunch and went to the visitors centre. Found out that we couldn’t cross Yardie Creek because the sandbar had washed away and even at low tide there was a high possibility of getting stuck. We would also have had to drive through salt water, which Rod was reluctant to do with no protective spray on the car. Decided to spend the day looking at different spots and then drive to Coral Bay.

We stopped at the sand dunes just before the boat ramp. It was a big and little kid’s paradise. We all had a run and play. You could run down the front to the water and you felt like you were going to step off a cliff as you ran to the slope. Turquoise Bay was lovely and blue with plenty of coral to snorkel around and view. Only problem was the kids didn’t want to get into the cold water. Bumped into a couple from Warrnambool Noel & Helen Thomas who know John Downey (they
Sunset at ExmouthSunset at ExmouthSunset at Exmouth

Captured Rod perfectly
used to own the plumbing shop) - what a small world! They had stayed at the side of the road just outside the Exmouth town boundary the night before and probably will again. We rang both caravan parks in Coral Bay and both were booked out for the night. Booked in for Tuesday & Wednesday nights.

We then had to decide which road we would pull into to spend the night. We decided to go down a “closed” road, because no-one else would be coming through. We continued all the way to the end into Shothole Canyon Picnic Area. It was lovely and peaceful and even had a toilet. The kids had fun climbing up to the lookout. We left early in the morning and arrived at Coral Bay at 11.30am, because we weren’t allowed to check in until after 11am. Set up, made lunch while the kids explored the caravan park.

Coral Bay is not very big. One main street which has the beach on one side and the 2 caravan parks, a pub and shops on the other. The other street goes around the back to the boat ramp and sand dunes.

We set up
Sand Dunes at Cape RangeSand Dunes at Cape RangeSand Dunes at Cape Range

You can see the sand blowing around the feet
down the beach and went for a swim. Alex had his snorkel and mask on. The water was very invigorating - in other words, freezing. But as we walked around to Sandy Point the shallows were very warm. We stood there and watched as Snapper came swimming around our legs. They ranged in size from 40cm to 60cm. We found out that fish feeding time is at the point at 3.30pm. We came back to see it. All the kids were given proper fish pellets from the boat charter to feed the snapper. It was lovely to watch.

Back to the camp and relaxed by the pool. Got an early night and to sleep in the next day - positively decadent. In the morning, both Alex & Kate read their books and did some diary writing. We are slowly trying to get the kids back into the swing of things. It was hard to get them started and they complained a lot, but once they got going, there was no stopping them.

Went to the shops and I tried on bathers as the bottoms of mine are saggy-baggy. Then to bakery for lunch and back to the pool
Cape RangeCape RangeCape Range

T-Bone Bay
for a relaxing time. Packed up the next day and parked at the side of the caravan park. Enjoyed time looking around, walking down the beach and bought Rod & myself some bathers from the other surf shop. Back to the car, got changed and was cheeky enough to use the pool at the caravan park (our first day’s usage, which we didn’t use). Bumped into a family (from Perth) we had previously met and the kids had a play. James (the boy Alex’s age) joined us down the beach to watch the fish feeding while the others got changed. Diane (the mum) and Sophie (daughter - age 6) finally joined us, we found out that Geoff (the father) had rolled his ankle and torn the ligaments. Helped him back to the unit and minded the kids while he went to the nurse’s station. Diane came back to get the kids so we could move on.

Left around 4.30pm and drove to Lyndon River Rest Area - we like the freebies!! Not many people there, but the sunset was quite unusual with the cloud formation. Next day headed towards Carnarvon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cape RangeCape Range
Cape Range

Turquoise Bay - footsteps
Shothole CanyonShothole Canyon
Shothole Canyon

Not bad for a closed road!
Coral Bay fish feedingCoral Bay fish feeding
Coral Bay fish feeding

Big, big snapper!! Just couldn't quite catch them.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb