Finding Nemo...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
March 30th 2007
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stopped off at the Tropic of Capricorn before arriving at Coral Bay. More highlights - this time under the water in the beautiful Ningaloo reef. It is a fringing reef as there is only a small strip of water between the reef and the shoreline - one of the longest fringing coral reef systems in the world. The Ningaloo reef stretches 260km from Bundegi beach only 5-10m offshore.

On our journey towards Coral bay we spotted lots of wedge-tailed eagles. Then we boarded a glass-bottomed boat and had a great view of the amazing corals beneath. We also saw a variety of fish-life, stingrays and even some huge turtles swimming alongside us. Up to 6,000 marine turtles live in the waters of Shark Bay. It is also possible to sometimes see dugongs. Then we jumped off the boat twice to go snorkelling and saw a large number of tropical fish, and also some rather larger fish which we tried to avoid!

Next we headed towards the Northwest cape, where we viewed abundant termite nests all dotted along the landscape. The queen and king both have a long life due to their luxurious lifestyle, whilst their slaves have a
Fish at NingalooFish at NingalooFish at Ningaloo

fantastic snorkelling opportunities
shorter life-span. Then we arrived at the Potshot resort in Exmouth for the night. Here we saw many wild emus, beautiful tropical flowers, a bottle necked palm tree and swarms of cockatoos and parrots. We all enjoyed a very nice meal at the resort with free beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb