Floods, fish and flowers.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Carnarvon
September 29th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Blue Swimmer CrabsBlue Swimmer CrabsBlue Swimmer Crabs

Our catch, cooked and ready for supper.
We arrived at Carnarvon in the early afternoon, set up, had lunch and set out to the One Mile Jetty for some fishing. I don’t know if it is really one mile long, but it was a very long walk to the end, so I guess it is. The jetty was built in 1897 and is a bit on the rickety side. There is a train track running the full length, with a little train to take sight-seers who don’t want to walk to the end. The end of the jetty is over a deep channel and is the most popular local fishing spot. We are getting good at good at this fishing thing. Well I am having more success in catching fish, while Frank is getting a lot of experience taking fish of my line and rebaiting. He is also quite adept at putting them back in the water, with only one casualty today. The poor little thing swallowed the hook and it couldn’t be saved. I must have caught about ten fish today, all undersized, all went back into the water. We caught a blue-swimmer crab each and had that for supper tonight. Crabs are very tasty, but messy to eat.

Carnarvon was badly affected by floods in December last year, with homes and businesses destroyed and banana and tomato crops ruined. Some businesses still haven’t reopened. There have been volunteers in the area working on rebuilding.

As we travel south, the climate is changing and so is the landscape. The days are getting cooler. According to the weather forecast, it has been quite col in Perth, hopefully it warm up by the end of the week. Western Australia is famous for its wildflowers and today we started seeing more. Fields of pink and yellow as well as the pretty purple mulla mulla have been seen and enjoyed. We expect to see a lot more wildflowers tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb