From warm and sunny Carnarvon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Carnarvon
July 4th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We enjoyed our time in Kalbarri. We took some great drives around the red cliffs where the limestone coast made similar formations to the Great Ocean Road. There is a walk from one end to the other but we mostly drove and walked to the cliff edge. We also went to a sea horse farm where sea horses were bred to go to aquariums. It is another area for wildflowers but it's still a bit early to see a lot.

Yesterday we drove the long outback road to Carnarvon - red soil, grey-green plants and not a lot else but one or two roadhouses. We got here yesterday afternoon and the first thing that struck us was - it was hot! Wow! First time in a long time. We instantly got into cooler clothes, put the chairs out under the awning and soaked up the sun.

This morning we did the same thing, in between doing a huge wash and giving the motor home a much needed clean inside. All my winter clothes are washed and put away - I'm hoping we get heat from now on as it has been unseasonably cooler than usual. We drove around Carnarvon after lunch, having a good look at the town. It is something of a food bowl here - citrus, bananas and mango plantations are around us and no doubt they grow other tropical food too. There's some new housing estates on canals they've made on the waterfront as well as a long one mile jetty and various heritage buildings.

We were keen to just get back and sit in the sun so that's been our afternoon. There are signs on the road that there isn't a lot of water for the next 630 odd klms and to fill containers in town, which we'll do before we leave here. There is a blowhole and another memorial to HMAS Sydney further north on the coast which we may or may not go to see tomorrow.

We're having a total of three days here in all, then on Monday we'll head inland to Tom Price and then Karijini Gorge. No doubt we'll be out of range until we are in Port Hedland on Wednesday or Thursday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb