Day 86 - Cygnet Bay Giant Tides Tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Cape Leveque
June 21st 2015
Published: June 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A very early start for this tour was required (5.45am) but we were held up as a couple turned up after 6.00. No apology offered but just waltzed in. You feel like smacking them. This was a tour to see King Sound (renowned for its 10m tides), which feeds the world famous natural phenomenon of the Horizontal Waterfalls. We visited to see the whirlpools created by the tides and a tidal waterfall at a 7,000 year old reef that is absolutely spectacular. This is a cruise for thrillseekers.

We took a sealegs amphibious vehicle out to the rigid inflatable that was moored in Cygnet Bay and then we were away! Two 250hp Honda motors provide plenty of go!

We learnt about the pearl operation as we cruised past the oyster beds in the bay and then it was off to see the tides in action. First we saw the whirlpool / washing machine where the driver cruised past the edge so that we could get photos. The biggest whirlpool would have easily fitted the boat inside and looked ferocious.

After that excitement we went up the coast further to see a waterfall coming off a 7,000 year old
Our transport Our transport Our transport

A rigid inflatable with 2 X 250 hp Hondas
reef. We arrived when the waterfall was about a metre but the tide had dropped a further metre by the time we left. This was a wonderful spectacle.

When we arrived back we had breakfast on the deck at Cygnet Bay Pearls looking out over their new infinity swimming pool and the bay.

We drove back to Broome and the unsealed section of the road seemed to have deteriorated since our trip up to the Cape. Just before we got back on the sealed section we came across a Ford station wagon parked in the middle of the road with the front half all smashed in. People just drove around the Ford. Maybe it was stolen?


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

We arrive at the reef with the waterfall flowingWe arrive at the reef with the waterfall flowing
We arrive at the reef with the waterfall flowing

See the egrets in the background fishing up on the reef
Cape Leveque RoadCape Leveque Road
Cape Leveque Road

Don't be fooled - it is not smooth


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb