Horizontal falls


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

Our transport to the falls
Waiting at the camp reception for the coach to take us to the airport for our flight to the falls has our imagination running, having read all the promotional stuff we are filled with excitement, we had thought of this trip on our last visit 3 yrs ago but did't do it.There are several other couples also waiting and as you do we struck up a conversation about our impending adventure.The coach arrives and we are off picking up at 2 other pickup spots, now there are 10 couples, will there be more?

We arrive at the small Derby airport to see that 1 of the sea planes has already arrived and the day passengers waiting to return on the coach that has brought us, they had flown out at around 6.30am ,oh did I not say we were going over night and sleeping on a houseboat over night, well we are.The second plane arrives and we realise that only 10 couples are making this journey.We are given name tags stuck to our shirts, so we know who we are and given a very comprehensive safety talk before climbing aboard the 2 aircraft, these are not big aircraft and it
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

Not very big
can be a bit of a struggle to climb into your seat,but once in all is well.By the way no one checked the weight of our luggage.Yes I know we are on a sea plane but they also have wheels for landing on runways.

We take off and head straight for the Horizontal falls and our overnight accommodation,climbing to 5000 feet we have a wonderful view of this vast country and its ever changing scenery, the river channels snake across the land and make incredible patterns in the landscape.The journey takes about 1/2 an hour and as we descend toward the water we are given our first glance of the falls as we make a low level pass over the falls, what a fascinating experience.We weave our way through the gorges and get our first glance of what is to be home for one night, a floating pontoon and two very large houseboats wow!!

We make a very smooth landing on the water and taxi over to the pontoon were we are welcomed by the staff who are very friendly and eager to ensure we enjoy our stay. We are asked to leave our footwear in a box
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

Bush fire in the distance
and stay barefooted during our stay on board the vessel.we are escorted to our rooms,air conditioned and consisting of a double bed and a set of draws, the large window looks directly across to water toward the hills and escarpment.The showers and toilets are along the same corridor and there are sufficient for us all.Before embarking on our first boat ride we are advised to put any drinks we wanted chilling in the ice box on the main deck.

Then we are off in a very fast purpose built speed boat, which the skipper claims to be the fastest boat on this water way,it's fast.We head straight for the falls and try and get the most out of the incoming tide which at times is to dangerous to attempt to cross.We are lucky not a huge tide but enough to feel the power of the water rushing in.There are two falls or gaps in the rocks which form the Horizontal falls,aptly named for when the water is rushing in on a full tide the appearance is of a raging waterfall. The skipper makes many passes through these gaps and the ride is exhilarating, the power of the water can
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

River systems
certainly be felt and we are sitting right up front,thrill seeking. After a while we change places with some of our fellow passengers and give them a chance to see and feel the power of the water.What a great buzz and the majesty of the surroundings are breathtaking.We move on to explore some of the inlets and channels of these waterways and the sights are amazing with so many different rock formations and colours. Away from the falls the water is still and inviting but no swimming as these waters are inhabited by sharks and crocks,we spend a while exploring these waterways and we are all spellbound and enthralled by what we see. The skipper is a fountain of knowledge and gives a continues commentary which is sometimes hard to hear over the noise of the rushing water and powerful motors,all three of them but he is aware of this and repeats himself for the benefit of those at the front of the boat.The afternoon sun is fading so we head back to the pontoon so we can swim with the sharks while there is still warmth in the sun.

The pontoon has a shark enclosure which allows you
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

Amazing views
to swim in safety with these creatures which are Tawney nurse sharks,separated by a cage and glass partition it's possible to swim and snorkel up close why not, so we did! It's also feeding time and we are encouraged to help feed these creatures under the guidance of a member of staff.A number of the guests took part in these activities including Jackie and it was a great talking point later.

Following this activity nibbles are served on the deck and the drinks are starting to be consumed,this has been a wonderful day and the evening is still young.Guests are wandering around with drinks and helping themselves to nibbles while taking the opportunity to engage each other in conversation, were having a party!What a great evening and dinner has yet to come.The sun slowly sinks below the horizon leaving a beautiful sunset over the hills and water which we all try and capture on camera, the ambiance is fabulous.

Dinner is served, Crispy skin Barramundi accompanied with a variety of salads and dressings with a fresh bun to be followed by a variety of sweets, this is as good as it's gets. There is no rush as we settle into this feast and the conversation continues throughout the meal.Imagine sitting down to fresh caught barramundi on the top deck of a houseboat in the middle of the Buccaneer Archipelago on the calm waters of Talbot Bay, serenity.The meal is eventually finished and the plates cleared away, the staff finish clearing every thing away and retire for the night. (It was only 7.30pm they start early!), We are left to our own devices after being warned about the dangers of falling overboard. The evening continues with more conversation as guests move and mingle together making new friends and acquaintances, sharing stories of past adventures and revealing dreams of others to come.Far from being cold the evening is amazingly mild and no one is in a hurry to go to bed. Eventually only two of us are left putting the world to right so we also decide to retire. Jackie is still awake and I persuade her to join me for one last drink under the stars,we are the only two people out side what a magical night so still and quiet except for fish jumping out of the water and making little splashes,the sharks continue to patrol around the boat illuminated by the lights of the boat oh well bed time. But even then drawing back the blinds the room is magical from the large window, millions of stars luminate the sky, it was a while before we got off to sleep, not wanting the evening to end.

We were asked to be on deck for 6am for a continental breakfast, we were all up long before that to catch the morning sunrise and we were not disappointed , the light in the morning was completely different than yesterday with a mist surrounding some of the hills and appearing to rise from the water, what a wonderful view.A leisurely breakfast was had tea,coffee,fruit juice a variety of cereal and heaps of toast,again the conversation was all about our experience here.We cleared our rooms and stashed our belongings on the pontoon before we boarded the boat again for an early morning ride through the falls again.The tide had changed and the journey through the falls was not as exhilarating as yesterday but hey we were still here and enjoying the ride and views.On returning to the pontoon we realize we are going to have to leave this oasis and return to reality still we have had a great time and there is more to come but we will never forget this magical place with such a WOW factor.

WE watch as our aircraft arrives and touch down on the water laden with exited passengers here for the day they are so lucky.We say our farewells to our hosts and board the aircraft for our return journey,I get to sit in the co pilot seat and even get to wear the head phones so I can hear the pilot and we can talk to each other. Our return route is different because we are taking a longer route across a different section of the Archipelago and we pass over a Barramundi farm.The pilot fly's low for the first part of the trip and we get to see the detail of the Archipelago below, passing over the remote barramundi farm was amazing to see such an operation of this size out here.The journey back took 3/4 of an hour with spectacular views along the route, sitting in the co pilot seat is a treat.So we are back and after collecting our gear we head for the waiting room and our
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls Horizontal falls

Rivers snaking across the landscape
return coach,new found friends are still swapping yarns.Whilst waiting we are entertained by a stunt pilot and his plane practicing for some up coming event, we are told by our pilot that the pilot works for the flying doctor service, something different to close off our adventure.Our coach arrives and we head back to Derby with some wonderful photographs and even more wonderful memories. non of these photographs have been altered in any way they are straight out of the camera.

Back at the camp site we pause for a cuppa before closing the caravan down and hitching up to head for Broome some three hours away, another episode.


Additional photos below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Horizontal falls Horizontal falls
Horizontal falls

Our first view of the falls
Horizontal fallsHorizontal falls
Horizontal falls

Weaving in between the gorges
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls
Horizontal falls

This is the boat we will be using to get to the falls
Horizontal fallsHorizontal falls
Horizontal falls

We head toward the falls
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls
Horizontal falls

Such a small gap
Horizontal falls Horizontal falls
Horizontal falls

Heading through the falls


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb