22 - 23 May 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
May 23rd 2012
Published: May 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday afternoon I checked into a chalet at the caravan park for a couple of nights. Very nice having an actual bed to sleep in for the first time in a long time. And yes I see the irony in this, taking a break from the holiday 😊

Tuesday was spent catching up on a few incidentals......washing does not disappear when you're on the road unfortunately.

This afternoon (Wednesday) was fun times as I took a sunset camel ride along Cable Beach. The beach is even more beautiful than usual as the sun sets and the cool air floats in from the ocean.

There were about 16 people who enjoyed the ride as the camels were lead on a leisurely stroll along the sand and down by the water. I was lucky enough to ride solo as there are usually two people to a camel.

My camel's name was Kabul and although the smallest, the guides informed me he was the boss of the pack. Kabul was strategically placed in front of Muscles, the youngest and newest member of the pack who was extremely curious and sniffed my backpack for most of the journey.

Kabul's journey to Broome is a fascinating one. In 2008 an adventurer led three camels from Byron Bay, NSW (the most easterly point in Australia) to Steep Point, WA (the most westerly point in Australia). Apparently the journey took around eight months to complete and Kabul has since spent his days with a far less intensive purpose in life.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb