Perth to Broome Tour!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
November 11th 2007
Published: December 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well guys, firstly i must apologise for the delay in this blog, i have just been a busy lassie and doing too much partying but im going to try and be good and get up to date with them. So here's the first of a few to come!

As i told you all in my previous blog i had decided once back in Perth to go on a tour from Perth to Broome over 10 days so i headed off on Friday morning. I got up bright and early and was waiting patiently for my bus to pick me up at 6.15am when up screetched the planet Perth bus and out came jumping my tour guide-Cleggy! Yip it was my wine tour guide from the previous day-the ****! After winding me and Erin up yesterday he knew all along it was going to be him!!! So after battering him with my bag we headed off to pick up a few more people. All together by the end of the pick up's there was 14 of us-a lovely wee number! There were 3 Welsh girls (Kaleigh, Freya and Kate) 2 Irish girls (Maura and Claire) 3 English girls (Laura, Emma and Erin) 2 Korien boys (Charlie and Sean) and 2 Japanese girlies (Yumi and Naomi) and 2 Scots lassies (me and Nicky)! So as the bus got going we all started chatting and becoming friends, we had a good laugh although due to us all being strangers it took a while before we were all as comfortable with each other as we soon became. Our first day was filled by going to 'The Pinacles' which are big rock formations made out of sand (or something like that lol) they were awesome! We all took a stroll around them before climbing back aboard our bus and heading to do some sandboarding which was awesome!!!! (we stopped along the way for some lunch at a place called Jurian Bay which was lovely!) Huge big white sand dunes which we clambered up to the top of in order to shoot right back down-so much fun! We only had 3 boards to we took turns of going down, although all scared at first and resisting we all done it and ended up having a couple of shots each, including racing each other! It was hilarious, when i had a go i went down ok until i gop about 3 quarters of the way down then my board decided to spin about and shoot me off it, oh my god it was great, just like a fair ground ride! After all the hilarity of sandboarding and trying to climb up the huge sand banks which u only went sliding right back down again we all headed back to the bus to travel the long distance to a little town called Geraldton where we were to a lookout to see the costal cliff, it was brilliant, we watched the huge waves hitting of the rocks-cool! We then headed to 'Kalbarri' where we would be staying the night at a backpackers, we even got our food made for that night which was great as none of us could be bothered cooking, we were all shattered! After dinner outside, which was lovely as still warm at night, we all sat about talking and getting to know each other at little bit better, it was really nice and a good laugh, everyone was so lovely and a great laugh, i went to bed knowing i would have a great time on this trip!

Day 2 started off bright and early which we soon realised all the days would-Cleggy liked his early starts! (eg 4 AM or 5.30 if he was being nice!!!!!!) We headed to the Murdison River at Kalbarri National Park which was awesome! Some of the group done some abseiling whilst the rest of us watched-it looked really cool but i wanted to wait to do any adventure stuff for New Zealand as thats the place to do it all from what ive heard. We climbed down to the bottom of the gorge then went for a walk, it was really cool although made me realise how unfit i really am, man those gorges are hard to climb back up lol! Anyway we went to 'Natures Window' which, is a rock right at the very top of a big rock hill, which has hollowed out in the middle so when you look out it it looks like a window, hence its name! It was really nice so we took some piccies then headed back to the bus which would be something we would be in a lot, as we had a huge amount of driving to do in order to get to Broome in 9 days time! We headed back to the backpackers from the previous night to have some lunch before driving to see the Stromatolites that afternoon, these are the oldest things on earth, they were here before any of us. So after looking at them (interesting but at same time boring!) we headed to Monkey Mia and when we got there were we shocked at its beauty, it was gorgeous, total paradise! The white beaches, warm water, sun setting-ah lovely! We were meant to have a bbq that night but Cleggy changed his mind so it was Lasagne for tea with Garlic bread although it turned out to be a bit of a disaster as they were frozen, didnt defrost for hours and so we never got fed until about 10 that night-our rumbling bellies were certainly calling to be filled by then! We had a great laugh, had some drinkies as we stopped at bottle shop that day to collect some goodies and so we had another great night just chilling out chatting away! We all headed to bed as again it would be a early start!

Day 3 started bright and early again as Cleggy wanted us all to watch Sunrise on the beach, it was amazing-so pretty! We then all headed along the beach to see the dolphins which came in for feeding about 8ish, it was awesome! Me and the 3 Welshies went over a bit earlier so we could see them before a crowd appeared, it was so cool! Between 10-15 dolphins all swam right up to the beach to get fed with fish from the dolphin conservation people who were based on the beach. They also let some of the crowd feed a couple of them, it was so cool! We were all allowed to paddle in the water with them which meant they came right up to your legs and brushed past you, it was brilliant, they are so cute! Once they were fed they were off like a shot though, so after the last one left we all headed back to pack up our stuff and head off. We drove to 'Eagle Bluff Lookout' which was pretty cool, amazing scenery-water, waves, rocks as far as you could see! We then headed to 'Shell Beach' which is exactly what its called, a huge big beach as far as you could see made totally out of shells rather than sand, pretty awesome! We all walked right down to the water and made our names in the sand part with shells, luckily i had the other Claire so we do it as a tag team, yey! It was awesome! We all then jumped about stupidly and took loads of pics-great fun! After Cleggy laughed at us all we headed back on the bus to head for lunch at 'Woromal RoadHouse'. Lunch would consist everyday of bread, marg and some toppings-yip if you didnt like sannies you would struggle, luckily we all did though so it was grand! We then headed to a town called 'Carnarvon' so we could go to the supermarket to pick up some stuff and of course the pub to get some supplies! Cleggy was letting us all drink on the bus on the way to 'Coral Bay' which turned out to be the biggest laugh of my life! Firstly he had told us all about the lovely puppy we were going to see in the pub, we were all excited about what we though was going to be this tiny cute little ball of fur, but oh no, out came bounding this huge horse! It was massive and got us all running, of course it got Cleggy doubled over laughing at us but we were in shock, i have never seen a dog that size before-im still convinced it was a horse! Nways, we headed on bus and got the tunes going, and what a laugh. As the night got dark, we watched sunset from the roof of the bus then we got going, Cleggy put on the 'disco lights' and got the party started! He played Dirty Dancing (Time of your life) for all us girls and made the drunken boys get up and dance in the aisles for us-it was hilarious, being the good sports they were Charlie and Sean got up and danced away for us, even taking their tops off and whipping them about, it was bloody brilliant! After all the hilarity we arrived (sadly-we wanted it to keep going) at Coral Bay where we got off and dumped our stuff in our rooms before all meeting back beside the pool at the big tables to start preparing dinner-bbq!! Me and Kales decided we would make the coleslaw and Oh My God it was gorgeous even if i do say so myself, i didnt realise how easy it was to make! We had a right laugh doing it too, seeing as we never had a proper shredder/grater! Our carrots went a bit floppy and our cabbage was chunky but it still tasted awesome haha! Once the sausages, burgers etc were ready we had a lovely feast and were stuffed by the end of it! Afterwards we met 6 more Irish girls that would be joining our group, all nurses who knew the other 2 Irish on board, we now had a full bus, 21 in all including Cleggy! We all chilled out for hour then headed to bed, again we were done in, one thing Cleggy knew how to do was wear us out! Bed was calling!

Day 4 began later than normal, we never had to be up until......8.30 woohoo!!!!!! Once ready we all met up for brekkie. Today would be a chill out day doing whatever you wanted, some went on boat trips, some went on quad bikes and others chilled on the beach-i was in this lot! Me, Kate and Kales all headed to the beach to chill out sunbaking-ah bliss! Emma, Laura etc then came and met us and we all went swimming etc, great morning. Me and the Welshies then headed back to the hostel as it had a swimming pool as the beach was getting too hot and never had any shade so we chilled out there for a while before the others returned from their trips. We then had some lunch before heading off about 4ish to 'Exmouth'. We arrived there a few hours later and all dumped our stuff once again in our rooms. On the way we were split in to groups for the cooking as there was 21 of us now so that be too many each night trying to cook-as they say too many cooks spoilt the broth! We got split in to Dingo's, Emu's and Kangaroo's (how original eh) i was a Dingo which meant a night off for me as the Emu's were cooking! yey! And didnt they do well, a green Thai curry was made in a matter of 2 hours lol! It was definately worth the wait tho, well yummy! We all had few beers before being introduced to one of the other buses which had all of Cleggys mates in it, they were called 'The Boogie Bus' (awesome name!!!) and it was full of Aussies and English! We decided that night that we would join them for some drinking games, it was magic! We all played a card game where we had to do stupid things if you picked a certain card, who knew i could act like a Emu so well? and we had to stick cards to our foreheads, stand on one leg, you werent allowed to point either (you think that ones easy but seriously it aint-try it!!) we had a brill laugh and it was a superb night! As it got to 1 o clock the bar shut so we all partied on in the Boogie bus, only some of my group took part in the drinking games, some had went to bed or were just chilling out but me, freya, Erin and some of the Irish girls took part so off we went to check out The Boogie Bus, it was awesome! It had a fur roof, carpet, proper disco lights, disco balls, microphones at each seat so you could sing along like karaoke-it was brilliant! We all danced about in that then some of the guys decided to do some fire throwing, and dancing with fire balls-it was so cool! We then all got shouted at by the manager who came out so off to bed it was for us, we said our byes to the awesome crew of the boogie bus and headed to bed, brilliant night!

Day 5 was another lateish start-8am, we had some of Cleggys homemade (really readymade) pancakes and got on our way to 'Torquoise Bay' via the snorkel shop to pick up our snorkelling gear. Once at Torquoise Bay which, was absolutely stunning we all jumped in the water to go snorkelling!!! It was superb, we headed out and seen some awesome coral, fish and a TURTLE!!! Yey! It was soooo cool, so beautiful, we all swam about following that for a while, it was awesome! After chilling out there for a few hours, having some lunch then doing some more snorkelling and lazing on beach (including Cleggy pushing us in once we were all dry!!!!) we headed back to backpackers to have quick showers before Cleggy picked us up at 6 to head to a Lighthouse to watch the sun setting. For dinner we had....Fish n Chips-awesome! Cleggy had treated us to some from the chippy so we all sat with some food, vino and watched the sun setting, it was beautiful, so good! We also then met G, a German girl who was joining our group. 3 of the new Irish girls were leaving our group as they were really homesick and so were heading back to Perth to head back to Ireland, shame to lose them but they werent happy so best to head home. So we all went back to the backpackers and chilled out there before heading to bed-once again we were done in!
Day 6 began at 4am, yes i repeat 4am!!! We had a huge amount of driving to do today so Cleggy thought it be best for us to get up early rather than have a really late night, plus since he was driving and we could all sleep on bus it was really up to him. So we all got up, on bus and headed back to sleep! Once all awake we done 'Group Introductions' as now we were a full group and no one else would be joining (even though it was now day 6 and we all knew each other!) so we all had our 5mins of fame on the mic answering Cleggys funny questions. It was a good laugh and we all had fun. After that we headed to 'Circular Pool' which was a walk down a gorge, it was massive but worth the aching legs as it was absolutely stunning (as normal) we went for a walk and a swim and took in the amazing sights. After that we headed to a place called 'Dales Camp' which would be our home for the night. It would be our first night in a swag which is basically a big sleeping bag, so we got organised then made some dinner, it was the Dingo's turn for cooking so we cooked up Fajita's-mmmm!They were delish! After that we went on a drive to see snakes and kangaroo's-the poor roo's, Cleggy was chasing them all-evil!!! Once back at camp we all headed in to our swags for a night sleeping under the stars-it was awesome! Although the bush loo was not, eek, we all went in groups to use it as snakes were around plus they can also be in the loo's (under the actual seat) so it was for safety we went in groups plus all the cockroaches-double eeekkkkk!!!!! Poor Emma had her bag nicked by a dingo so had no toiletries. In the morning we all went hunting for it and found a toothbrush here and toothpaste there, it was funny, well funny for us but not for Emma who's knickers were also found by one of the boys haha! Sleeping under the stars was amazing, we all lay looking up at them, chatting and having a laugh, in the distance you could hear the dingo's howling, it was crazy-so cool!!

Day 7 began early once again, 5am! We had brekkie then headed off to Jeffreis Lookout before we went gorge walking again, this time at a place called 'Knox Gorge', this one was cool. We went swimming, walking then we had a break. During this Cleggy showed us how to make face paint from the rocks and water-it was so cool! We made yellow and red, and painted each others faces and arms-it was so funky! We all looked as if we were about to go to war lol! So much fun! Although we didnt exactly look good especially with our fly nets on! Fly nets were essential though as there were millions of them, they would surround you and be all over you, your back would be covered, faces, everywhere! We were all going mental with them so Cleggy took us to a shop to buy nets-what a godsend! After we painted our faces we continued clambering around the gorge and walking, by the end of climbing up we were all red faced and panting-man what a unfit bunch lol! We stopped at 'Weano Gorge' for lunch, another walk but again worth it, it was beautiful! After this was a 'chill out time', we walked down to a gorge pool and lazed there for a hour or so in the blazing heat, it was mega hot by this point! In the afternoon, once Cleggy dragged us away from chilling out we went to a Visitors centre, it was really cool. Taught you all about the Aboriginals and their way of life, really interesting. (we also came accross a cross dressing aboriginal, first one ive ever seen or Cleggy-he was shocked lol) Later on we headed back to Fortesque falls which we had been to the previous day but it was gorgeous so all wanted to go again for a walk and a swim! That night we camped at another site, this time we had no loo, it was the bushes for us, the real Aussie experience! So as all us girls screamed and squealed the boys laughed all night but what a laugh we had! We made a big camp fire and all sat about in our swags singing and having a real bush camp-it was awesome! We set up another fire to make dinner on-Cleggy was making us his speciality of Spag Bol! It was yummee!! As the night fell we all watched sunset, ate dinner then chilled out by the fire with a few glasses of vino-ah bliss! It had been a real hard day today with all the walking and the heat-we were now shattered, the swags were once again calling!

Day 8 began with a swim at 'Fern Pool' after we packed up all our stuff and had some brekkie. It was lovely going for a swim first thing. After that we drove quite a way to Port Hedland where we had some lunch, on route we blew a tyre-wah! The tyre was a wreck after it! Luckily a lovely truck driver stopped and helped out Cleggy so we were soon on our way! yey! After lunch we headed quite a way again to '80 mile Beach'. On the way just as Cleggy was telling us about how in his 8 years of doing this he had never had to change a tyre guess what, we got a flat! No joke, we couldnt believe it, Cleggys face was a picture! Once changed we got on our way to 80 mile beach, unfortunatley we missed sunset but we stopped by the roadside and watched it-totally amazing! 80 Mile Beach was a actual camp site which meant showers! YEY! We had not had one in 2 and a half days, finally we would be clean! We were all minging by this point as the ground is all red dust so we were covered in it, i had forgotten what white skin looked like! So after we all fought for the showers we had some dinner and a few glasses of wine before walking down to the beach to watch the turtles coming out of the water, it was awesome!!!! A huge big one came out, it was so cool watching it, plus it
Me and MauraMe and MauraMe and Maura

Oh how attractive with our fly nets!
laid eggs which was even more amazing! We then headed back to camp to have our last night in our swags-it was brill! I loved sleeping in them, even though they got toasting hot, it was great to sleep out in the air under the stars-so cool!

Day 9 began at 4.30am! We went for a walk on the beach and watched the sunrise, it was magnificent! We then got a lesson about shells etc from Cleggy as some of the ones on this beach were actually dangerous and could kill you so he showed us them then we headed back to camp to have some brekkie before heading off, today we were heading to Broome! We stopped at Sandfire Roadhouse for some lunch then continued on our huge drive. During the drive we played 'Question Time' which was a game Cleggy made up. We all had to come up with five questions and write them down, the questions were to include ones about your home country and general knowledge. We had what a laugh answering them and finding out each others answers, so funny! After that we all just chatted and had a laugh until we finally reached
War paintWar paintWar paint

So much fun!
our destination of Broome! It was quite sad actually arriving in Broome as it meant our trip was coming to a end. Once there Cleggy threw us all in the pool(actually physically threw us in!) then sorted out our rooms. We all got split up in to dorms, i wasnt put in with anyone from the tour so was strange. That afternoon though we all chilled out by the pool etc then at 6 we all met up in reception to be picked up by Cleggy who was taking us to watch 'The Staircase to The Moon', which is when the sun reflects in the water at a certain time of night and it makes the water look as if it is a stair case leading to it-quite cool although to be honest a little disappointing as i didnt fully see it haha! On the way there though we stopped off and got loads of pizzas and garlic bread and once at the water we all munched on that and had some more wine, it was lovely. After the night fell we all headed back to get our glad rags on for a night on the town! We all met at the backpackers bar where we gave Cleggy a Thank you card and some money which we all chipped in to say thanks for being such a great tour guide, he really was awesome! He then bought us all a tequila then we got a bus and headed in to town, we had a great night and a really good laugh. We all danced and drank the night away and ended our time together with a brilliant night! What a group of brilliant people i had met, they were all fantastic!

Day 10, the last meal! We all got up for one last brekkie together, although most of us couldnt look at food as hungover but we all chatted and had a laugh then some stayed by the pool, some went to the beach and some went in to town for a wander. I went to town with the Welshies, Freya, Kate and Kaleigh who i had become really good friends with. We had a wander around then that afternoon headed back to the hostel. That night most of us all went on a Camel ride! It was so cool, we all headed to the beach about 6 o clock as it was a sunset ride. They were massive!!! And made the strangest noises!!! All the camels were in line and tied together by a rope so they wouldnt go off path. We were to go on in pairs so me and Nicky went together. We were told to go on and Oh My God it was scary business! When our camel who, was called Snoopy, was told to stand once we were on we were thrown forward as it put its back legs up then as it put its front legs up we were thrown back-wah!!!!! Once up though it was so cool, i didnt realise how tall they were! We all went together walking along the beach whilst the sun was setting, it was so cool! About a hour or so later we headed back, the scary part was to come, getting off the bloody thing! Snoopy had only been doing this for a week or so and so had only had 3 couples on him before so wasnt used to being told what to do so when the one in front of us was told to go down he did, we went crashing down-ouch, sore bum!!!!!!
The 2 Scots!The 2 Scots!The 2 Scots!

Me and Nicky
Then he went back up, wah scary! Then he went crashing down again, ouch sore bum once again! After this time though we got told to quickly jump off so off we got although i was scared that whilst getting off he would go up again but luckily he never so off i went just in the nick of time cause once again off he went up, then down then up and so on....eventually he stopped! Phew! After that we got a pic of us on him then we all headed back to the hostel to meet the rest of the bunch and head out to dinner together. We all went to the pub, had some dinner then headed back to the hostel to chill for a while, such a good day, nice to chill out after our 10 days of always being on the move.

The following day was departure day for some as some peeps were heading back to Perth with Cleggy, it was so sad saying bye to them but it had to be done so we all had a hug and said our cheerio's-aw!!!! I was especially sad to say bye to Cleggy as he had been brilliant, aw! He even spoke to my mum on the phone, she loved his accent haha although was winding her up saying i secretly supported Rangers and not Celtic FC!! I then headed in to town to meet the Welshies who i would have to say bye to too as they were leaving that night! We had some lunch then said our goodbye's-aw! It was so sad, i loved the Welshies, they were fab but we had decided we would spend christmas together at Byron Bay so i would be seeing them again which would be fab! After saying bye to them i headed back to the hostel to chill out with some of the girls. A chill out night was again what i needed so off i went, me, Emma, and some of the irish chilled by the pool, had some dinner and a few glasses of vino before heading to bed.

The following day i spent on the net booking my flight to Darwin which was my next stop, i would be leaving the following day and was super excited about it! Broome was great but not as good as what i expected it to be to be honest, i loved being there and was glad i went but i think cause i had to say bye to so many friends there it just seemed weird so i booked my flight, off to Darwin i would be going! Bring it on!!!!!!

All the people i met on the trip were seriously awesome and im so glad i met each of them, they really made the trip what it was-AWESOME! (can you tell i this is my new word for everything?haha)

Hope you enjoyed my blog about my 10 day Perth to Broome trip guys, will get the Darwin one on the go as soon as i can! Love to you all! xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

Fern PoolFern Pool
Fern Pool

The most gorgeous waterfall i have ever seen


Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb