Darwin to Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 18th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the next installment….

After leaving Darwin we drove through Pine Creek, Katherine and headed to Victoria River. Klaus and Yvonne had left the day before and had stayed at Katherine that night before they continued to the WA border. Once we got there we decided to continue to the next town before stopping at the boat ramp for a quick look. Who should we find there having afternoon tea? It was none other than Klaus and Yvonne.
After spending the rest of the afternoon there we decided to camp at the roadhouse together.
Traveling with people is great. We stop for morning tea, lunch and sometimes afternoon tea depending if we haven’t found a camp yet, but most of all its great company.
As we were yet to cross the WA border (quarantine is very strict with fruit, veg, and honey and we still had some), we had a look around through Jasper Gorge, saw the boab tree which the explorer Augustus Gregory had mark and camped there in 1855 and drove up through Keep River NP.
Once we crossed the border we headed to Lake Argyle (it’s the biggest fresh water lake in Australia, capacity is 58 times Sydney harbour). It was such an amazing site to behold.
After spending two nights here we headed into Kununurra for another two nights. We had a drive out to the Zebra Rock workshop where you could purchase unfinished pieces to make your own jewelry with and had a look at the Hoochery Distillery which is the oldest continuing WA distillery. We took the tour around and found out how they made the rum. It was very informative about the process and what goes into it.
As Klaus and Yvonne were heading to Broome via the tar we decided to put off doing the Gibb River Road as yet and do it on the return trip.
From here we continued through the East Kimberly’s staying at Mary Pool rest stop. It was quite popular and as we had arrived right on dark there we limited spots. After setting up and sitting down we started to get wafts of something unnamable. At first we thought it was the pit toilets but the smell kept coming and we couldn’t stop laughing at it. We moved about 2 metres forward and nothing helped. After putting up with it for about half an hour and hearing the pigs have a go at it we pack up and moved up the road. We found out the next night it was a dead cow that had been there for at least a week.
Continuing on our way through Geikie Gorge and staying at a few rest stops (Northern Territories are the nicest by far) before we arrived at Derby. Due to the neap tides we didn’t get to watch the tide come in over the King Sound so continued on first stopping at the prison boab tree (used to hold prisoners mainly aborigines over night).
Having arrived at Broome we headed to the only caravan park over the water and spent a few days relaxing, opening coconuts (fresh off the tree), watching sunsets over Cable Beach, swimming and getting sun. The boys also enjoyed a couple of days perfecting the use of the throw net, Mick doing so well he caught a 52cm flathead in it.
As soon as Klaus and Yvonne get their new tyres (third time lucky) they are heading south, so we will be on our own again.
Till then take care……

#




Advertisement



18th September 2007

WooHoo
Glad to hear you are both enjoying the trip...Only 5 weeks until we hit the desert and start the drinking at Birsdville...lol Keep in touch, I cant wait to catch up and have a beer in the next month or so.. Take it easy.. Ian
20th September 2007

helloo from KL
hi guys! i'm all the way over in KL at the moment. just about at the end of my trip here and i sooo don't wanna leave. i have had such a fantastic time here...boat rides at night to see fireflies, theme parks at ginteng highlands, cable car rides, chinatown, shopping!, breakfast lunch and dinners at the hotel, the 5star resort i'm staying at is amazing!, the pool, the people...just everything! i have had a wonderful time. feel like io have found myself a little bit and have rediscoverred my zest for life. it's exciting! i miss you guys! and clouse and yvonne too! how are things going? sounds like you are having fun together. how was the beach accommodation in broome? looked soo beautiful i was extremely jealous!! not too long till i can see you both again. but make sure you have lots of fun until then. i will call you when i get home to sydney (or melbs) and catch you up on all the gossip. give clouse and yvonne a big hug for me! lots of love Tissa xoxo

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb