Day 58: Melbourne‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Werribee
February 5th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne is a lively bustling city and is home to a number of grand old buildings mixed in alongside modern works of art. The only thing that ruins Melbourne for me is the ugly tram lines that literally take over the city. The trams are a really efficient way to get around town but they make crossing the road really quite scary! Having said that, the first thing we did was jump on the free city circuit (old-fashioned style) tram for a bit of sightseeing. We hopped off at the Fitzroy gardens to see the stone Yorkshire cottage (once belonging to Captain Cooks family) that had been transported over to Australia in pieces. Unfortunately the cottage had been vandalised the previous night and the staff were doing their best to hide the paint bombs and obscene graffiti! There was also a model Tudor village and a fairy tree (originally crafted in 1931 but rejuvenated recently with a lick of paint). On our way back to the station we stumbled across a salsa lesson in the town square - we watched the other couples but weren't brave enough to join in.

Oh and before I forget... today James had a tantrum, a full blow shout loudly and stamp his feet type tantrum in public. All because he thought the ticket machine had cheated him out of $14 change - it hadn't and James walked away with his head hung low!

Bailey's bit: Before I start it wasn't a tantrum, it was me venting frustration at what I thought was a self service ticketing machine malfunction! Anyway I digress... Melbourne centre is a lot smaller than Sydney but I think a lot more is packed in, we shall see tomorrow when we explore further. The suburbs we drove through seemed fairly pleasant and with the trams running through I thought It may be a little like San Francisco (Cat says not...). While we were waiting for the train back to where we were staying, we were treated to a free Salsa lesson in Federation square, we didn't take part but it was fun the watch!

Daily mileage: 5(am) had an explore around the area we were staying on Phillip island, fairly isolated so spent much of the time on the side of the road!
2.5(pm) was able to get a cheeky run in along the coast before dinner in South Werribee


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb