Great Ocean Road Day 11. Queenscliff


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Queenscliff
February 16th 2020
Published: February 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

GOR Day 11. Queenscliff
I love Queenscliff and what a lovely day to travel there from Geelong. We were a bit sad to leave the Gatehouse on Ryrie, despite its lack of en-suite facilities, due to its old world quaintness. The day started a bit dull and we had a headwind for much of the way making it hard riding on the long straight roads. There was a nice cycle route just before 13th Beach with the big rolling waves off to our right. The Jirrahlinga Wildlife Sanctuary were having a Koala talk when we arrived which was very good and we saw a large male and several females munching away on gum tree leaves. There was a good variety of birds, including Kookaburras, tawny frogmouth owls, kestrels, lorikeets and parrots etc. Obviously we saw kangaroos, emus and several snakes which were thankfully behind glass. Lunch was then had at the Barwon Heads Hotel, where we met Peter’s cousin, and then rode the pleasant route over the bridge to Ocean Grove and to the lighthouse at Point Lonsdale. From point Lonsdale we took a beautiful tree lined route following the estuary and an old railway line to the harbour in Queenscliff. The birds were amazing; pelicans, ibis, little egrets. great egrets, cormorants and chestnut teals. The weather was glorious to boot, what more can you wish for? The Circa 1902 is a nice hotel, despite its lack of en-suite, (have I mentioned this before?), the meal tonight was 1st class. Shame they don’t do breakfasts. The plan tomorrow is to take the ferry at 9am and eat in Sorrento. Shame about all this effort.
Someone has to do it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement




Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb