Day 4 - Loch Ard Gorge to Nelson (Victoria / SA border)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Campbell
March 31st 2015
Published: April 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Loch Ard GorgeLoch Ard GorgeLoch Ard Gorge

From up top showing the small opening where the wreckage and Tom were washed in to.
I woke up with cold feet which was very strange. I looked around and noticed that the window (right next to my feet) was open and a cool breeze was blowing in. In fact, it was almost cold and there was mist swirling around outside. This is quite common (sea mist) along the coast.

We had a quick breakfast and drove to the Loch Ard Gorge carpark and explored the area, including the famous gorge.

The gorge is named after the clipper ship, which ran aground in June 1878 after three months sailing from England. Only two of the 54 passengers and crew survived. Tom Pearce, a fifteen years old ships apprentice, was washed ashore and, hearing cries for help, went back into the water to attempt to save Eva Carmichael, a 17 year old Irish woman who was emigrating with her family. After rescuing Eva, Tom then climbed out of the gorge and was lucky to find local farmers nearby.

We were the first to walk on the sand that morning but it must get many visitors now. It really is a majestic location. And a sad one too as you tour the little cemetery on the
Loch Ard Gorge againLoch Ard Gorge againLoch Ard Gorge again

Showing a section of the beach
cliff side.

Later in the morning, after driving through Port Campbell and Peterborough, we stopped at Warrnambool where Lenny sorted the Telstra phone and plan (with the assistance of the local expert Liam) while Georgi hunted down coffee.

Port Fairy was originally settled as a whaling station in the early 1800's and has many buildings made of the local bluestone which are now protected by the National Trust.

We drove along the coast seeing emus on the side of the road and then stopped at Nelson which is just on the Victorian side of the border. We had a cool drink by the river with the pelicans, Georgi did yoga and we planned the remainder of the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Looking out to sea from Loch Ard GorgeLooking out to sea from Loch Ard Gorge
Looking out to sea from Loch Ard Gorge

The island with the archway is muttonbird island and this is where the Loch Ard ran aground as it tried to sail its way out of trouble.
The Loch Ard beachThe Loch Ard beach
The Loch Ard beach

We were the first to walk on to the beach today.
The beach and our footprints in the sandThe beach and our footprints in the sand
The beach and our footprints in the sand

The beach and our footprints in the sand
Loch Ard cemeteryLoch Ard cemetery
Loch Ard cemetery

The four passengers bodies of the Loch Ard that were recovered are buried in the local cemetery along with other pioneers.
Port Campbell townshipPort Campbell township
Port Campbell township

A quaint little place that hasn't changed much
The ArchThe Arch
The Arch

Port Campbell Coastal Park
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

Port Campbell Coastal Park. There used to be two archways but in 1990, the left arch collapsed leaving tourists stranded for some hours until they were rescued by helicopter.
The Glenelg river at NelsonThe Glenelg river at Nelson
The Glenelg river at Nelson

A very high tide today with some buildings (including the canoe hire place) flooded. Maybe next time for a paddle in a canoe.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb