A Canadian in Australia - thirty days. Day 10 - Melba Gully, Gibson Steps, Gog and Magog, Twelve Apostles and Loch ard Gorge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Campbell
March 9th 2019
Published: March 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

On Day 10 I left Apollo Bay for Port Campbell to see the iconic Twelve Apostles rock formations. First stop, however, was another short hike through a rain forest at Melba Gully. The Madsen Track is about two km long and takes about 40 min. A lovely trek through the rain forest. The first stop in Port Campbell National Park was to tackle Gibson Steps. 89 steps takes you down to the beach where you can view the rock stacks of Gog and Magog. It was fun walking next to these mammoth structures with the waves rushing in. Then came the Twelve Apostles; the iconic rock formations associated with the Great Ocean Road. These are what you see on all the postcards of the area. Although there are now only seven rock stacks, they are observable from a network of observation walkways so that you can see the rock stacks from a variety of angles and exposures. It is a wonderful way to spend a few hours with your camera. Nearby is another must see attraction - Loch Ard Gorge; an impressive beach inside an impressive gorge. One can spend a few hours there as there are three short trails taking you to such locations as Thunder Cove, Razorback, Island Archway and others. All are geologic formations of different shapes and sizes worthy of seeing. My camera had a busy day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

Beef and Potato pie


11th March 2019
Gigson Steps

You need good knees and legs!
11th March 2019
Around Loch ard Gorge

beautifull!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb