Our visit to the penguins


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
December 20th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We recently did a trip to the see the fairy penguin parade at phillip island.

After quite a drive we got to the island. Just before you cross over the bridge we had lunch at the local Fish & Chips place and set on the jetty to eat. This is where we saw the most amazing giant Sting Rays just floating through the water below us - with a 'wing-span' of probably close to 2m. They live there and we were told you can see them all the time.

We had a pass that let us visit Churchill Island and the Koala Conservation Centre, as well as the penguin parade. The island was great, relaxing, early settlers experience. The Koala Conservation Centre not as interesting. You had to really look to see koalas, but nice walk through the bush nevertheless.

I was surprised (shocked) how commercial the penguin parade was, as we queued up and entered. However, you soon don't see that anymore (we were on a special upgrade platform, which I would recommend). You sit on this platform with a few people and the penguins waddle past you by the hundreds. Pretty Cool. Probably one of the best Melbourne things to do.

Would definitely go back to it. We were not allowed to take pictures there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb