Warrnambool - Apollo Bay via The Otway Fly


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Otway Ranges
March 16th 2018
Published: March 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we set out along the Great Ocean Road, but planning to head to the Otway Fly. We have driven along the Great Ocean Road several times in the past, but we have never managed to get around to visiting the Otway Fly since it opened.

Just before we reached the Great Ocean Road we saw a wedge-tailed eagle enjoying some road kill for breakfast with two more wedgies sitting on fence posts watching ... or perhaps waiting for their turn? Wow, three wild wedge-tailed eagles in one place! We pulled to the side of the road, but of course the camera was in the back of the car again, not ready to take photos as the eagles flew off into the nearby pine trees.

We scrambled around to get the camera out and started taking photos of the wedgies perched in the pine trees. The magpies started harassing the eagles and they took wing again. My camera was not set to AI Servo or continuous shooting so I just kept clicking away hoping that at least a few of the shots would be in focus!

With our goal being to reach the Otway Fly we didn’t stop to photograph the Bay of Islands - or any other scenic views - which seemed somehow wrong, but we know that we have lots of earlier photos of this part of Victoria and this morning it was quite misty by the ocean anyway. We did take a short break in Port Campbell before continuing on our way with the SatNav set to take us to the wettest place in Victoria, Weeaproinah.

We climbed up into the Otway Ranges driving alternately through pockets of temperate rainforest and cow paddocks. We hadn’t booked ahead so we were in two minds about whether we were going to do the treetop walk and/or the zip line. When we arrived at the counter the whiteboard said there were three places left for the 2.30pm guided ‘fly’. However, while we debated whether to do the walk and then the fly, two more spots were booked on the Internet so that made the decision for us. We might have to come again to try the zip line??

We purchased our tickets for the treetop walk using a voucher from one of the maps that we had picked up which gave us a 15% discount from one of our tix. We headed off into the bush on the path that would take us to the commencement of the treetop walk. We were slightly nervous before we even ventured into the treetops because there were signs beside the path warning that snakes were known to be in the area. Ugh!

With no snakes sighted we commenced the treetop walk. What an amazing experience to get up into the crowns of the majestic Mountain Ash and be able to look down on the canopies of the mid-story Blackwood Acacias and Beech Myrtles. The tree ferns on the forest floor also looked amazing from overhead. Although we could hear birds calling, we caught only fleeting glimpses of the abundant bird life. I think if we visit again the idea would be to arrive at opening time when there are fewer tourists clumping around and talking loudly to scare off the birds?

Back in the visitor centre we grabbed some sandwiches for lunch before continuing towards Apollo Bay. We knew that we would find Hopetoun Falls if we took the scenic route back to the coast. At a Y intersection we were faced with options for Beachamp Falls and Hopetoun Falls. We decided we might be able to see both so turned left for Beachamp Falls. Haha, a short drive, but a long walk (three kilometres, one hour return AND rated strenuous) to Beachamp Falls so we decided that we would skip those and hope that the Hopetoun Falls would be a bit more accessible.

It was signposted as half an hour return to walk down to the bottom of Hopetoun Falls and back up to the car park. I think it was actually 10 minutes down and 20 minutes to slog back up again?! Getting down is the easy part. Another place signposted to say that platypuses live in the Aire River but, unfortunately, we were not lucky enough to see one.

We arrived in Apollo Bay about 4.00pm and checked in to our motel. We unloaded the car for the second last time before setting out for an afternoon stroll. Apollo Bay is very pretty, but also very busy with lots of restaurants and gift and souvenir shops along the sea front. Actually there were too many restaurants and we struggled to decide where we should eat dinner. There was one very nice looking restaurant, but it had no patrons - which is always a bit disconcerting. We tried the place rated highly on Trip Advisor, but would have had to wait half an hour for a table so ended up settling on the pub. The pub grub was delicious.

And so our holiday draws to an end. Off home tomorrow.



Steps: 17,380 (12.83kms)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



9th August 2018

More traveller's tales.
I really enjoyed your trip to Kangaroo Island Tracey. You certainly do get around the two of you and I love reading through all the notes and viewing your great photos. Keep them coming so I can LIVE your travelling with you [in spirit].

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb