The Silo Art Trail


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Nhill
March 3rd 2018
Published: March 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we handed over care of Finbar and our house to house sitters, Chloe and David, before hitting the road about noon with the GPS set to take us to Rupanyup in the Wimmera. Heading to Rupanyup so see some of the silos on the Silo Art Trail was a late addition to our holiday because Tracey booked the house sitters to arrive a day earlier than was originally planned!



We arrived mid-afternoon to view the Rupanyup silo. This silo is adorned with a monochrome mural created by internationally renowned Russian artist Julia Volchkova. The artwork features a young boy and a young girl.



We headed further north towards the silo at Sheep Hills. This silo was painted by Adnate, an internationally renowned artist famous for his work in Aboriginal communities across Australia. The work consists of four indigenous faces watching over the community of Sheep Hills, with a starry background that has symbolic significance to the local people.



Next we wanted to head to Brim.



Bernie - ‘Hey Syri, navigate to Brim’



Syri - ‘Calculating a route to Brisbane’ Hmmn, that’s a little further than we want to go today!



Bernie - ‘Hey Syri, navigate to Brim’



Syri - ‘Calculating a route to Broome’ Damn, Syri wants to take us even further away now.



Bernie - ‘Hey Syri, navigate to Brim’



Syri - ‘Calculating a route to the rim’ Whaaat? The rim of what? We gave up and typed our desired destination in!



Despite Syri’s attempts to misguide us we made it to Brim. The Brim silo features the artwork that started it all, Guido van Helten’s ‘Farmer Quartet’



That made three of the six silos on the 200km long Silo Art Trail. The remaining silos at Rosebery, Lascelles and Patchewollock will have to wait for another time.



Nhill was also beyond Syri to comprehend so we typed our destination in again to be guided back to the Western Highway and Nhill.



We found our way to Nhill’s ‘Zero Inn’ (ha, ha) without any trouble and booked into our basic country motel room for the night. There are not many dining options in Nhill. We opted for the Farmers Arms Hotel over the BP Roadhouse!

Meanwhile, Finbar had a good day at the Coburg swimming hole.



Steps: 16,227 (12.10kms)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th March 2018

Siri
I had a laugh. Voice recognition software has a way to go yet! Impressive silo art, I’m inspired to go that way to Adelaide next time.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb