MElbourne Zoo - saw my Koala


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 13th 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -37.8143, 144.963

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13

I woke up early, so I could construct some emails and send them out really quickly on the free minutes we have been given by NCL. I can save time if I have them all ready, then send/receive and then get off. I needed to send an email to the tour company we had arranged for an excursion in New Zealand. Plus I needed to write my cruise consultant, Andrea, and ask some questions about insurance and trip interruption. Even though our flights have not been interrupted, I need to start thinking of our options, just in case the NCL STAR does not make it back to Auckland, as originally plan.

There were about 300 people getting off the the ship and making their way either to New Zealand or back home. NCL offered FREE bus service for those people that wanted to get to the airport. Because there was another ship docked, we found out that folks off the NCL could not leave the ship between 6:00am and 10:30am. We wanted to get to the zoo to see the animals as they were being fed, so we decided to get off early and check our internet at the cafe/pub that we had use the last time we were in Melbourne.

Sure enough the wife was turned on, even though the cafe/pub was CLOSED. I made a quick FaceTime call to G'daddy and he got to see the Spirit of Tasmania unload cars, motorcyles and trailers from the belly of the Ferry. I also got on Skype and we talked with Ellen a little bit. She was tired, laying on the couch, but David talked to us about his Batman Happy meal toy he had and just before we hung up, Emily came on line and we got to chat with her. We talked to David about where Australia was located. That it was an island nation and country all in one.

We walked a few more blocks to catch the tram into the CBD (Central Business District). We first had to purchase a ticket at the grocery store. Very easy to do. Directions were easy to follow. Once we got to the CBD, we asked another gal how to get to the train to the Zoo. Once on the platform, we started talking to the Tram Customer Service person. Often throughout the day, we would say to folks we would talk to, "Do you know the Cruise Ship that got stranded out in the ocean and had to be tugged back to port? Well, we are one of those passengers!" We got lots of "oh, my!" reactions to "I read about that in the paper, or on TV". That opening statement was fun to use through out the day. We talked to folks at the train station, at the zoo, to even at the museum.

Once we got to the zoo, we asked for "Do you have a 'stranded cruise ship' discount?" We got the laughs. We did get the Senior Citizen discount!

The Zoo opened at 9am and we walked directly to the Aussie Outback area. We wanted to see the Kangaroos, Kaolas and other animals. The zoo keeper was just cleaning out the branches of the eucalyptus tree . Got some good photos. Of course we wanted to "everything Australia". We walked through the bird sanctuary to see Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. We saw Emu, Tazmanian Devil, Platabus bird, seals, and penguins.

Glenn and I grabbed a bite to eat at a cafe near the giraffe area. We talked to two Australian ladies that were very friendly. They originally were from England and immigrated to Australia back in the 70's. Very very friendly. We learned that Aussie's call Frenchfries, "chips". We also ate some Corn on the cob.

Before we left the zoo, we went to the exhibit for penguins - truly Antarctica and Tasmania stuff. While waiting to catch the train/tram back to the CBD, we talked with 2 other folks - one an employee and another, a passenger. Most people are curious about our adventure, since we had to return to Melbourne. We asked folks on suggestions on what to see/do in the CBD. There is a FREE circle tram and there is an Australia Media Muesum that sounded interested.

Once we got out of the train station, and walking along the side walk, we ran into Rick and Darla from the Ship. They've been on with us since Hong Kong and will continue on the cruise until Singapore, into the first part of March. We walked into a Catholic church, St. Paul. I couldn't take photos inside, but I took some outside.

We had lunch at Hungry Jack. Glenn tried to check email - no wifi. I stopped at a souvenir store and purchased a spoon. We visited the Australian movie museum. We hoped on the Circle FREE tram and visited with 2 folks that had just gotten off of the Princess Cruise. Of course they were interested in our journey.

We headed back to another tram and started talking to a couple, born and raised in the midwest and now live in Frisco. We all laughed to think, here we are on the other side of the world, and meeting someone in our back yard.

Glenn and I had reservations at Moderno. The Brazilian restaurant. Good food. I loved the cooked pineapple, besides the delicious meet. We went to the 7:30pm showing of "Oh what a night". This group is booked in Melbourne, but Mondays are their day off, and they did two presentations for the NCL Star. It is music from the 4 Seasons.

Tired. Going to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb