Melbourne to Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 2nd 2016
Published: April 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

DDay1. 0945hrs. Odometer 77288
All our planning, research, cleaning and packing has come down to this moment.

We departed our home on the inner North East of Melbourne, with the plan to go as far north west as possible. Not a great start to my day, spilling my first cup of tea and then a cup of coffee before departing Melbourne.

Pushing hard to Adelaide as the day progressed. We promised the kids we would see Adelaide this trip as we have travelled around the city, 3 times before.

We passed by Ballarat with the temperature at 11 degrees and drizzling rain. Ballarat located on the Yarrowee River, 105kms from Melbourne Central Business District (CBD). Originally a small sheep station until gold was discovered in 1851, Now with a population of approximately 93,500. Famous for The Eureka Rebellion/Stockade, the event in Australian history which is interpreted as the 'origin of democracy' in Australia. The major tourist attraction for visitors in Ballarat is Sovereign Hill, where the history of the Gold Rush.

Our first stop was Horsham where we fuelled up and stretched our legs. Deisel 116cents per litre, temperature, 21 degrees celsius., Horsham in the Victorian Wimmera, 300kms North West of Melbourne, a minor city with the population of approximately 15,000, it is the centre to Western Victoria's wheat and wool industry.

On route we stopped at The Giant Koala , 27 km north west of Stawell in the small township of Dadswells Bridge. One of the many BIG sculptures Australia has to offer. The koala is a 14metre high, bronzed statue situated on a steel frame, built in 1988. It is a restaurant/receptionist venue with small native wildlife park at the rear. We were actually lucky enough to see a real koala here.

We arrived at the South Australian/Victoria Border at 16.40 hrs, temperature, 22 degrees and sunny.

Before reaching Adelaide we drove along side and over the Murray River, passing through Tailem Bend and Murray Bridge. Murray Bridge is a minor city, population of 16,700 people, 77kilometres from Adelaide. The first road bridge built across the Murray River, constructed here in 1886, giving the region its name. The Swanport Bridge now carries traffic on the South Eastern Freeway across the Murray River, 5kms down stream from the original bridge.

The Murray River is the longest river in Australia, at 2,508kms in length. It rises from the Australian Alps, draining the western side of Australia's highest mountains and meanders across the inland plains, forming the boarder between the states of New South Wales and Victoria. The River flows northwest into South Australia and then turns south at the township of Morgan before it reaches the ocean at Lake Alexandrina.

I was feeling very unwell with a migraine by the time we reached Mt Barker. Our final fuel stop for the day, just off the highway, Deisel 101.9 cents/l 33kms out of Adelaide's CBD, in the Adelaide Hills.

We arrived in Adelaide in the dark and when the kids saw the big city lights, Tom stated "one tall building is that it." With myself unwell and vomiting, unable to navigate effectively we did several laps of Adelaide before reaching the Shores Caravan Park in West Adelaide. An expensive Big 4 caravan park in a great foreshore area.

An eventful first day, everyone travelling well and excited about what lie ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb