Cooking in the Coaster


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 15th 2015
Published: October 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lenny planned our trip (to the nth degree I should add) and I am in awe of his planning ability. My only job was to organise food! (Ed. ...and share the driving!). I did not know where to begin....At home I always decide on the day what we shall be eating that night. Lenny suggested I start with a menu plan for a week which was to include one tinned something to make life simple. I then planned away, one fish meal, one vege meal, one tinned meal, one pasta meal, two basmati rice meals and one meat and veg meal. Done! The Coaster had a fully equipped kitchen with an oven and three gas burners and one electric burner should the gas run out. As I packed the bus at home I put in all my favourite ingredients including my brothers home grown (in Tuscany) olive oil and two boxes of Tasmanian Cajun Salmon spice mixes from Spice World in Bank Arcade Hobart. We also packed un-processed apple cider vinegar, honey, dried fruit and nuts from The Garden Shed and Pantry at Cygnet.

Before leaving Tasmania we called in at the Tassal shop in Salamanca and purchased six cryo
Ready to begin cookingReady to begin cookingReady to begin cooking

Preparation for bulk meals (pasta mince and stews mostly)
packed pairs of salmon portions and I called into the Kingston Butcher and purchased two Bruny Island boned legs of lamb. The salmon went into the freezer, the legs of lamb onto the bottom shelf of the fridge. The fridge runs on gas and was most reliable.

Off we went on our travels, always stopping at roadside stalls to seek out home grown vegetables and fruit. The plan went out the window but it had served its purpose. It gave me confidence. Every interesting butcher shop was investigated and some lovely sausages were purchased together with steaks. We got into the habit of having steak with caesar salad and corn or potatoes boiled then saute'd with dried herbs and garlic. If a bbq was nearby we had the steaks with garlic butter if not cooked in the frying pan and served with a brandied, creamy, peppered sauce.

Good Friday at Port Augusta, we visited a fish monger and that night feasted on whiting and prawns. The following lunch time we saw a service station advertising oysters at a most reasonable price so we purchased a dozen...they were the best oysters I have tasted in years! Sorry Bruny!
Another fabulous meal underwayAnother fabulous meal underwayAnother fabulous meal underway

Tonight it is salmon crepes followed by strawberry crepes (yum)

It is wonderful to cook for Lenny. He really enjoys food.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb