Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
January 12th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our transport
We had hired our two tiny beasts of cars to travel the great ocean road in. Our car was a med red Suzuki Swift (Hev, Ryan and me) and Guy/Kate and Rich's was a yellow inbetweeners style Hyundai Getz. It took over an hour to get onto the road but once we did it was amazing. Driving along mountainous windy roads that Jeremy Clarkson can only dream about. The views were immense! Cliff edges and long stretches of beach were round every corner and the seemingly endless ocean disappeared into the horizon. The hardest thing was focusing on the road, we had the best weather whilst on this trip. Barely a cloud in the sky over the three days. We stopped many times along the route, mainly for what Guy called 'a photo opportunity' and we took pics of the scenary.

Lorne
The first main stop was Lorne, earlier that day there had been a big sea swimming race with over 25,000 swimmers participating. This small town was busier than the Horley rec on fireworks night. We stocked up on booze here and travelled a few kilometers down the road to small campsite. After having a few bevvies under the star filled sky, we slept in the most awkward of positions in our tiny cars. I woke up early with cramp in my neck and back and headed to the bay opposite, where I watched the waves crash against the rocks and ate my breakfast. When I returned, everyone was awake and we were soon off again. A few bumps and scrapes and many Guy photo stops later we arrived at our next main stop, Apollo Bay.

Apollo Bay and the national park
This was a long stretch of golden sandy beach. The girls spent this time absorbing some rays and the lads hit the sea with our wave bouncing ball (Wobbaball). When the ball broke, Rich and myself decided to take a jog down the beach before body surfing some of the waves to cool ourselves down. From there we drove through a national park and saw our first koala bears in Australia, they were well hidden but Guy had a nack for spotting them.

12 Apostles
Our final stop on the great ocean road was the 12 apostles, this is the main single attraction along the road. Flies everywhere led to Kate becoming a mass murder (of flies, i mean), this aside the views were breath-takingly spectacular and the best of the Great ocean road in my opinion. There was a mist hovering among the apostles which were redy brown clumps of land that were parallel to the shoreline.

We headed back and the boys grabbed a crate of beer from Apollo bay, which automatically designated the girls to driving duty. They drove for a few hours back towards Melbourne as we watched the sun set amongst the horizon and we stayed the night at the same place as the previous night. In the mornng we hit Lorne beach, where we bodysurfed the 6-8ft waves. Taking in the last few scenic views of the great ocean road we returned to Melbourne.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb