Melbourne in the Rain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bus ConversationBus ConversationBus Conversation

We had fun watching these guys discuss the serious issues of the day.
Note: Sorry it's been so long since our last post. It's been impossible to find the time and place to get on the internet lately.


Melbourne in the Rain
November 7, 2008

It was overcast this morning when we caught bus #220 across the street from the caravan park to go to the Melbourne City Center. Around noon it started lightly sprinkling, then around four it rained off and on and it’s 8 PM and still raining. Rain sure makes it harder to enjoy the day, but we managed to see what we wanted to see with the exception of the Botanic Gardens. We checked off: Queen Victoria Market (didn’t stay long, looked like a giant swap meet to me), Melbourne Museum (excellent), Federation Square (spectacular architecture), Southgate (beautiful center with shops and restaurants), and Fitzroy Gardens. Melbourne has a free trolley that makes a big circle around the city center with audio descriptions of the buildings and streets, a fun deal and a nice thing to do for tourists. We ate lunch at a Portuguese Café, where we had some tasty marinated chicken. With the rain, it was a good day for museums and we especially enjoyed the Ian Potter Center in Federation Square. Melbourne is a beautiful city and again we were impressed with the friendliness of people wherever we went.

The caravan park had a “Sausage Sizzle” party tonight, but we didn’t go. I’d had enough of the great outdoors for one day. That hot shower sure felt good.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

World Heritage SiteWorld Heritage Site
World Heritage Site

This is a very important building, we just can't remember what it is.
Wind Exhibit in MuseumWind Exhibit in Museum
Wind Exhibit in Museum

Note the sign. Joe's ancestors were pioneers in Australia, too.
Typical Aboriginal ArtTypical Aboriginal Art
Typical Aboriginal Art

This one is better than most.
Federation SquareFederation Square
Federation Square

Beautiful architecture everywhere.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb