Melbourne so far: Horses for courses, jobs for bills, and (somebody else's) wedding bells.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 19th 2007
Published: December 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

All suited up for Melbourne cup!All suited up for Melbourne cup!All suited up for Melbourne cup!

The race that stops the nation, and starts a huge parade of good (and very bad) fashion tastes.... don't even mention the hangovers !
Morning all, just got internet at work yesterday 😊, and to get that out of the way, the job sucks (working with idiots), but I'll work on that next year.


Thought I'd update you a little more before Christmas, so for starters, all the best wishes for the silly season, and happy new year !

I think I left you with a broken tooth last time. rest assured, it is gone now ! Waiting for things to heal, after which the good dentist with the bad sense of humour will give me an expensive implant. Nuf said about that.

Shortly after that, the MELBOURNE CUP ! The race that stops the nation, horses that is (not Formula 1, that's next March, can't wait). It's a bank holiday here, everyone has the day of. It's actually a whole bloody week, the spring carnaval, with 4 races at Flemington Racecourse, on Saturday, Tuesday (cup day), Thursday and Saturday (again). Melburnians these days stay away on the Tuesday (apparently), and spend all their time, money and fashion efforts on the other 3 days.

I'm new here, so I just booked a ticket for the Tuesday Melbourne cup, had a walk around, a few beers, a few glasses of bubbly, a few more laughs, cheered for the winning hourse (although I had to check the news af night to see who'd actually won - Efficient, a Kiwi horse), and caught the train back after it had all sort of ended. It's just a great laugh, better with friends of course, but you just can't miss this sort of events down here.

Have been out on the town a few times already. Naz (flatmate) loves the Melbourne music and pub scene, so she's the perfect chaperone for a newcomer like yours truely. Been to roof top bars, old bars (the Espy amongst others), funky new bars, old hotel pubs, you name it. It's all here, and as we say it in our place, it's all good mate !

Flew back up to Sydney again, but this time, no breaking of teeth. Staid with good friend Anthony, and the main reason for flying up (again) was Lisa and John's wedding day. Lovely day, wedding ceremony and dinner were in the Botanical Gardens. These 2 must be famous now, had a few helicopters flying over, and plenty of tourists taking pictures as
Melbourne DocklandsMelbourne DocklandsMelbourne Docklands

Nice new developments, had my first dragonboating regatta here, and it was a great day for it!
well. Borowed some pics from Kylie for this, as my phone really just takes crappy pics that wouldn't have done the day any justice!

Also had lunch in Coogee with Karen and Anthony. On a sunny day you just can't beat Sydney beaches I think ! The sculptures by the sea was ending that day, so we were lucky to catch some of the art work at Tamarama beach that day as well. Great weekend all up.

Plans for now are simple: Will go up to Dunbogan (New South Wales) and visit Peter for Christmas, spend it with his family and friends near the beach. After Christmas, train it down to Sydney and spend a few days there catching up with whoevver may be around. And then finally, truck it back to Melbourne with a rental truck, and hopefully all my furniture (and motorbike) will fit in it ! Will be here again for New Year's eve, and hopefully get to see the fireworks here.

Keep an eye out, I may drop some more pictures on this entry when I get a chance !

Ciao for now,

Rene



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Speechless....Speechless....
Speechless....

Words are never going to do this justice, that day, it took me a lot of effort not to roll over the ground laughing about these 2 outfits....
The end of another race.The end of another race.
The end of another race.

Sorry again for the bad pics, the horse are in the top left corner ! ;-)
Great day, for a great couple!Great day, for a great couple!
Great day, for a great couple!

Lisa and John's wedding in the Sydney Botanical gardens.
Lisa and John at their wedding!Lisa and John at their wedding!
Lisa and John at their wedding!

That's moi in the background, thanks Lisa !
Very happy indeedVery happy indeed
Very happy indeed

Lisa and John's big day in Sydney
Delphine and Naz, same partyDelphine and Naz, same party
Delphine and Naz, same party

Delphine and Nic crashed on the sofa for a few weeks, chez nous, they're french, obviously !


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb