Dodgy Aussies?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
September 19th 2023
Published: September 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

So it’s day 100 or thereabouts, and today we finally head home.

We’re starting to suspect that some countries are perhaps just slightly over-suspicious of us Aussies. We go through all the usual electronic security screening at Denpasar Airport and take our seats in the gate lounge. We’re then told we need to leave, and we can only go back in again after our hand luggage has been re-inspected, this time by hand, by a security guard. Huh? So sure enough a long queue forms outside the lounge while a single guard goes through everyone’s bags one by one. The time we were supposed to takeoff has come and gone, and security guard guy’s only done half the queue. And the question on everyone’s lips is of course "why", and why seemingly only for flights to Oz. Possible the electronic screens don’t work on Aussies. This happened to us once before, in the Philippines. They separated all the passengers who were flying to Oz, and hand searched all their luggage after it had already been electronically screened. Do we really look that dodgy?

We land in Melbourne, but the plane can’t pull up to the air bridge. It seems someone’s inadvertently left some equipment on the tarmac, right in the way of where our aircraft needs to go.… well we hope it’s inadvertent. That’d be the ultimate irony. We’ve done an entire lap of the globe less about twenty metres, and someone decides to disguise a bomb as equipment and blow up the plane.

We prepare ourselves for the usual early spring homecoming experience - freezing weather, well relatively at least. But it seems we’re in for a pleasant surprise, our pilot tells us that the maximum temperature in Melbourne today was an extremely unseasonal 27, which coincidentally is the same as it was in Bali. And to think that some people still deny that global warming’s a thing.

As always seems to happen, when we were away we felt like we’d been away forever, but now that we’re home it feels like we never left. I hope we don’t wake up in the morning to find that we dreamt the whole thing.

Advertisement



23rd September 2023

I have certainly enjoyed following you on this round the world adventure...
so welcome home!
18th November 2023

We're home
Very pleased to hear you enjoyed reading!! Many thx.
24th September 2023

Welcome home
It is always good to sleep in your bed and use your shower.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb